Cyrix 5530 Kahlua Audio

I'm new to FreeBSD, so please excuse my noobishness . . .

I'm trying to get audio working - I followed the guide, but it looks like there's no driver for my hardware.

pciconf -lv returns (including misspelled device name):
Code:
none1@pci0:0:18:3:      class=0x040100 card=0x00000000 chip=0x01031078 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Cyrix Corp (Now owned by VIA)'
    device     = '5530 Kahula/Geode Audio'
    class      = multimedia
    subclass   = audio

I tried kldload snd_driver, but I don't see any pcm devices showing up in dmesg. Also, cat /dev/sndstat returns this:
Code:
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2007061600/i386)
Installed devices:

Is there anything I can do to get this working? Is there a place to look for drivers for obscure hardware?

The same audio hardware worked fine under Debian, but I'm guessing that's irrelevant here.

Thanks

You can try the oss drivers in the ports tree (/usr/ports/audio/oss). It supports some cards that the drivers in the base system do not currently support. I can't make any guarantees that it will work, but it's worth a shot.

Adam

Thanks for the suggestion. For some reason, OSS pulls in X11 dependencies, and I ran out of free space trying to install it. I'm going to try to free up some space, and try again.

That's probably because of ossxmix (which depends on GTK2).

You could try building it with the WITHOUT_X11 option. Not sure if it'll work with this port though.

There is no driver for the Geode 5530 in FreeBSD at the moment.

However, there is a preliminary driver available at:
http://63.249.85.132/gx_audio/index.html

This driver was written for FreeBSD 4.6, so it will probably not work, or even compile.

This would probably serve as a good project for someone with a few hacking skills willing to learn more about FreeBSD internals. The source code on the website above is well documented.

If you get it working, I promise you that I'll get it into the FreeBSD source tree. ;)

Any takers? :)

Thanks for the responses - I guess I'll go back to Linux for this box then, although I was quite happy with my first experience with FreeBSD, especially ports. I wish I knew enough about programming and hardware to update the driver, but that's definitely over my head.

Why not buy a cheap/simple soundblaster card? Or just do without audio..

SirDice said:
Why not buy a cheap/simple soundblaster card? Or just do without audio..

My project is turn in old thin client in to a box to stream music from an NFS share on my server . . . so, audio is essential, and there's no PCI slots for expansion. I briefly considered USB audio, but I don't think it's work the expense, since I know it will work in Linux.

Back