Custom user titles

eternal_noob

Daemon

I like that i am a "Daemon" now. In fact, i like it so much that i don't want the next user title if i ever post enough to earn it.

Would be nice if we could set custom user titles or at least, "pin" the current one.
You could limit that feature to members with a post count of 1000+ or so.

drhowarddrfine

Son of Beastie

Then someone will come along and make up some nasty one. Then it becomes an editing maintenance issue. Then it becomes a political or social issue. Then it becomes a legal issue.

a6h

Daemon

I like "dog ate my homework" title. That describes me to the teeth.

OP
eternal_noob

eternal_noob

Daemon

Then someone will come along and make up some nasty one. Then it becomes an editing maintenance issue. Then it becomes a political or social issue. Then it becomes a legal issue.
Of course a new paragraph in the TOS would prevent that.

OP
eternal_noob

eternal_noob

Daemon

Sorry for bumping but can i get feedback from a moderator or admin on this?
Do you discuss the request internally?

grahamperrin

Beastie's Twin

You could limit that feature to members with a post count of 1000+ or so.

Seems reasonable. I'd remove my title.

I have no idea how things here are setup, but I see these:

Last edited:

astyle

Daemon

Geezer : you can always change your sig, from 'Old Fart C Programmer' to 'Dog With Wet Nose And Big Ears' ;)

OP
eternal_noob

eternal_noob

Daemon

Does deleting old posts get you to a lower user title if you delete enough? This would be my workaround.

astyle

Daemon

Does deleting old posts get you to a lower user title if you delete enough? This would be my workaround.
Try getting from Beastie's Twin down to Known User ;) Too much work, especially if you have to think about which posts you wanna delete, and which to keep.

astyle

Daemon

User titles are inconsequential to me. Preserving the database of informative posts trumps any such concerns.
I completely agree. Some really useful posts are gone - I still remember digging up some instructions on how to mount ZFS shares when in rescue / single user mode, copying them down by hand - and now that post is gone for good. I only have that info because I bothered to preserve it on my end of things.

Vull

Aspiring Daemon

I completely agree. Some really useful posts are gone - I still remember digging up some instructions on how to mount ZFS shares when in rescue / single user mode, copying them down by hand - and now that post is gone for good. I only have that info because I bothered to preserve it on my end of things.
Likewise. Keeping your own notes is the best way to go but I also get a lot of value reading old threads that I didn't know I needed until after I searched for them. I try not to ask questions that have already been answered if I can find the answers using either the search function here or the duckduckgo search engine.