Solved Custom kernel update (was USB Enumerate on Freebsd 13 (Proably related #237666) )

Hi everyone,

I hope I'm posting that in the right section.

It seems I've been hit since I upgraded to Freebsd-13 by the following bug : https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=237666
I understand that the bug will be fixed in 13.1.

My hardware is Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen6, running Freebsd 13.0-Release-P1

My question is, as I would love to recover the ability to have a working sleep feature and some usable usb devices (nitrokey, usb hubs), what would be the right process to build a new kernel with the proposed patches in the bug* threads, if there is no alternative for now (which I might totally have missed) ? Any pointers ?

Thanks !

(edited some typos)

.. what would be the right process to build a new kernel with the proposed patches in the bug* threads, ...
  1. Install devel/git (or one of its flavors)
  2. Clone the releng/13.0 branch
  3. git-apply(1) patch 1 , patch 2 (copy/paste into file. There seems to be a bug with patch downloads, the files are empty)
  4. Build, install kernel
  5. Reboot system
If you are not sure how to proceed in detail I'm willing to provide a step by step guide.

... if there is no alternative for now ...
The alternative would be to install 13.0-STABLE. The usb_hub.c patch has landed on 2021-06-02 in 13.0-STABLE (stable/13). The newest snapshot is from 2021-Jul-01.

In case you are unaware, -STABLE is a development branch, the system can be update/upgraded, security and errata patches applied from source only. This means you are expected to follow security/errata announces, apply patches, rebuild world, kernel, if necessary, no automation.

Thanks for the details, I'll use the first option, as I won't have much time to follow up on -STABLE up[date,grade] and already spotted it was a dev. branch, therefor building a " temporary kernel " should be enough for me now. I'll take up your guide if I have too much trouble, but I'm not there yet.
Thanks for the detailed feedback !

Back