Cryptograpic Accelerator Card

Will a Intel QuickAssist 8970 cryptographic accelerator Card help speed up VPN speed with and Intel I7 7700 CPU? My concern is is the Intel QuickAssist 8970 needed if the processor supports AES-NI?

I am looking to convert a Dell Optiplex SFF into a router/VPN end point.

Thanks in advance.

It begs the question, how many VPN connections do you plan on running concurrently?

I am looking to convert a Dell Optiplex SFF into a router/VPN end point.
For the money you're willing to spend on the crypto accelerator card, why not buy a proper VPN box?

I don't think there are even drivers for it.

You didn't specify which generation CPU you have, but chances are it has AES instructions.

It begs the question, how many VPN connections do you plan on running concurrently?

For the money you're willing to spend on the crypto accelerator card, why not buy a proper VPN box?
Just two but would like to be able to use remote desktop efficiently for elderly support. But also to explore the capabilities of PFSense, etc.

My concern is is the Intel QuickAssist 8970 needed if the processor supports AES-NI?

I would suspect a Xeon would be needed for QAT not i7700.
The accelerator card offloads the encryption from the CPU.
So in theory it shouldn't matter what CPU but I do wonder....

I would suspect a Xeon would be needed for QAT not i7700.
The accelerator card offloads the encryption from the CPU.
So in theory it shouldn't matter what CPU but I do wonder....
So the accelorator should improve the I7 throughput per your post?

Wireguard for example will do gbit linespeed without issues so you don't need a crypto accelerator. I would however highly recommend that you run the latest BIOS etc due to hw vulns.

OpenVPN
Intel Core i7-7700
AES-256-CBC 477 Mbps
AES-256-GCM 519 Mbps
AES-128-CBC 479 Mbps
AES-128-GCM 522 Mbps

i7-7700 has AES instructions.

So according to vlads post the Intel I7 boasts aes in the Mb's where the card boasts up to 50 Gbs. Am I not understanding this correctly?

So according to vlads post the Intel I7 boasts aes in the Mb's where the card boasts up to 50 Gbs. Am I not understanding this correctly?
Even if you have capable hardware, you'll still have a bottleneck at Internet connection - a cheaper plan will result in less data than your hardware can process.

OpenVPN

Will regular processing be impeded by the encryption processing on the I7? Or is that the same concept of having a cryto accelerator card?

Back