"Cross-Compile" the FreeBSD kernel

Hi folks,

I have a runnning i386 6.1-RELEASE and built a new system (7.1-RELEASE amd64!) in a directory (extracting base, kernels, src... with install.sh to $DESTDIR).

Is it possible to build a custom kernel on the i386-6.1 machine for the amd64-7.1 ? Just by issuing make buildkernel kernconf... in $DESTDIR/sys?

Or where is the magic line which I shouldn't pass when compiling software on FBSD?

Another question is, can I share one /usr/ports directory via NFS to provide it to multiple FBSD systems (mixed versions) for software installation from ports.

Thanks a lot!
cheers,
Honk

Just set TARGET=amd64. This should do it.

About the Ports, yes you can. However you should set WRKDIRPREFIX to somewhere outside the ports on these systems, so that you only require read access.

Installed on a amd64 the i386 version, can I recompile the kernel and world to amd64 from 386 such as to be native ? Is there any howto somewhere?

While it is possible to "upgrade" an i386 install to amd64, it's generally not advised. It's a very advanced setup, and not guaranteed to work. You can try, but be sure to have a full backup of your working system (or at the very least, your data). There are how-tos and guides available on the Internet. I won't link to them, as I don't recommend using them. :) Caveat emptor, and all that.

The recommended method for "upgrading" from 32-bit to 64-bit install is to wipe the disk, and re-install from the CD.

Note also: all 64-bit x86 CPUs are native 64-bit *and* native 32-bit CPUs. You can run either 32-bit or 64-bit software without any penalties. You aren't running "non-native" if you use a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit capable x86 CPU.

Back