Solved Cross compile for ARM with portmaster?

First of all I have read this page:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/crossbuild

And... I am not going to be doing any of that. Simply because configuring and troubleshooting all that and waiting for each 'make config' to pop up would take longer than compiling with Portmaster on a slow ARM system to begin with. It is funny how the person that wrote the page has the nerve to say all you need to do is change one line in the makefile and then goes on to explain that was all a lie and you need to do like 100 steps.

Is there someway to get cross-compiling in an automated way and be finished before the year 2038 bug rolls around?

Is there someway to get cross-compiling in an automated way and be finished before the year 2038 bug rolls around?
Poudriere supports cross-building for ARM. It's still going to be a slow process though as it basically uses QEMU to emulate an ARM processor. But it's probably a lot faster than doing it on the Pi itself.

No luck with Poudriere.

On the 10.1 system setting up the jail fails with:
install: make.amd64/bmake: No such file or directory
bmake was not installed so I installed it and still the same error.

On the 11.whatever system Poudriere-devel will not even compile because p5-locale-gettext-1.06 can't find perl5.24.1. I know how these things go and if I troubleshoot any further on this system it is going to turn into a mess.

This is a really sorry situation.

On the 10.1 system setting up the jail fails with
FreeBSD 10.1 has been End-of-Life since December 2016.

On the 11.whatever system
Note that 11.0 is now End-of-Life too. So make sure you're on 11.1.

Poudriere-devel will not even compile because p5-locale-gettext-1.06 can't find perl5.24.1.
That's probably messed up on your system, devel/p5-locale-gettext is currently at 1.07 and uses the correct Perl version as set by DEFAULT_VERSIONS (5.24.3 at this time).

I got the newer system to continue on by updating the ports tree. Luckily nothing got messed up. I fully expect to be able to continue once it finishes.

edit: The error is now saying the jail is newer than the host. I have no plans to run the CURRENT version of FreeBSD on any computers unless I have to. So back to compiling on the target system.

edit 2: so far it is still going despite the dire warning. I am setting up a second build computer that is even faster that will be running CURRENT in case this does not work.

edit: The error is now saying the jail is newer than the host. I have no plans to run the CURRENT version of FreeBSD on any computers unless I have to. So back to compiling on the target system.
Always update the host system first. There's no need to resort to -CURRENT but you do need to make sure the jails are running the same or a lower version than the host.

FreeBSD is only available for the Raspberry Pi 2 with 12-CURRENT so It seems I have no choice. I kept the build going and it hasn't died yet. Poudriere on what I consider a fast system (3 ghz quad core) is ungodly slow. It is still going to take weeks on this system just to build XFCE4. I really can't understand the type of computers that must be used to build these packages and how much power is wasted by doing all this just for a few zealots to use.

edit: coming along now.

Last edited:
Back