Create FreeBSD bootable USB disk, can't boot from EFI.

Plan 1:

I using `dd` command to create USB disk from Debian Linux:

Bash:
dd if=FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/sda bs=1M

Error info:
Code:
Boot Error.

Plan 2:

I using UltraISO to create bootable USB disk on Windows! But, laptop boot menu can't find it ...

On my MSI laptop, I can not boot on freebsd without rEFInd. I don't know why.
I have this kind of issue with linux drive too (have to boot with no-modeset and other config or use rEFInd).
I have an another stange issue : booting from usb3 key failed. I have to use usb2 key (all my usb3 key are the same model, maybe it is an issue with this particular model).
I create all my usb disk (linux/freebsd) with the dd method on linux or mac OS X. The same method works fine with a usb2 stick and failed with usb3.

You should use sync after, so that all outstanding write operations are actually performed. Maybe you forgot it and the image hasn't been written completely?
Yes, I use `sync` command after! USB disk is ufs2? why not fat32? I mount it:
Bash:
sodu mount -t ufs -o ufstype=ufs2 /dev/sda5 /mnt

Looked written completely..

But, booting is `Boot Faild!`..

use Balena Etcher for record USB boot in the Linux or Windows..It correct writes iso and img FreeBSD distro...
Don use ultraiso rufus and other Windows application except Win32image from Handbook...

use Balena Etcher for record USB boot in the Linux or Windows..It correct writes iso and img FreeBSD distro...
Don use ultraiso rufus and other Windows application except Win32image from Handbook...
Would have to disagree. I have used Rufus to create my FreeBSD-USB-drive and it works without problems.
In Rufus i can even use an ISO-image instead of the "img" as source

Would have to disagree. I have used Rufus to create my FreeBSD-USB-drive and it works without problems.
In Rufus i can even use an ISO-image instead of the "img" as source
It should be EFI startup. The windows image of UEFI also has no way to start. However, the Windows startup disk that can be generated by mediacreationtool.exe tool can be used.

IIRC, for an USB-Drive to be bootable in UEFI mode, its EFI-Partion must have the flags "boot" and "esp".
After creation of the USB-Drive just check , e.g. with GParted, if the flags are there.
the CSM-Mode SirDice mentioned not withstanding.
That one works definitely.
....Well, as long as SecureBoot is off in the BIOS...

What is the make and model of the laptop? On some implementations the option might be named slightly different.

IIRC, for an USB-Drive to be bootable in UEFI mode, its EFI-Partion must have the flags "boot" and "esp".
After creation of the USB-Drive just check , e.g. with GParted, if the flags are there.
the CSM-Mode SirDice mentioned not withstanding.
That one works definitely.
....Well, as long as SecureBoot is off in the BIOS...
Yes, I booted it! Change SecureBoot to disabled in BIOS! But linux don't need disable SecureBoot can be installed.
I will try install FreeBSD now! Thank you very much!

I installing copy files after alert:
Could not set password!
can-not-set-password.jpg

Restart laptop reinstall it alert:

Failed to fech dist from local media:
failed-fetch-dist-from-localmedia.jpg

I will download DVD to try.

Back