Create a bootable ISO of your system

Hello,

I am trying to find out if there is a way to create a "snap shot" of a system after I get things setup the way that I want them, that way I can duplicate the systems for more than one customer?

Thanks!

Josh

Easy! Have a look at dump(8), and restore(8). I do it all the time. There's a bit more to it than just that. But they are the bulk of it. Also have a look at gpart(8), along with newfs(8), and mount(8). Those 5 commands are all you need to accomplish the job. :)

It all depends on how you want to slice up the disk(s) (layout). But here's the jist of it:
I usually use a USB stick to dump my system to. So I'll use that as an example. You can
use just about anything that FreeBSD can mount, and write to (almost). Anyway:
While not strictly required, it's safer; so boot your system to single user mode reboot -s
Hit enter at the prompt, then
Code:
mount -u /
mount -a -t ufs
swapon -a
plug your USB stick in (we'll assume it registers as da0 for this example
Code:
gpart destroy -F da0

gpart create -s GPT da0

gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -l USBSTICK

newfs -U /dev/gpt/USBSTICK

mount /dev/gpt/USBSTICK /mnt
OK now you have a fresly formatted USB stick mounted to /mnt
let's dump our filesystems. We'll assume a / /usr /var layout:
Code:
dump -C32 -b64 -0uanL -f /mnt/root.dump /

dump -C32 -b64 -0uanL -f /mnt/var.dump /var

dump -C32 -b64 -0uanL -f /mnt/usr.dump /usr
OK everything you want to pour onto your new system is ready.
Use gpart(8), and newfs(8) as we did for the USB stick, but on the drive you intend to put the file systems on, and then use mount(8) as we did to mount our USB stick, and finally, use restore(8) to pour the filesystems onto the newly formated drive(s).
There are 2 additional commands you will want to use to make the new drive bootable. So I'll mention them now:
We will also assume your new drive also registers itself as da0, just for simplicity, and lack of confusion. In all likelyhood, it will be something like adaN, or adN. But let's not concern ourselves with that, right now. :)
Code:
gpart destroy -F da0

gpart create -s GPT da0

gpart add -t freebsd-boot -l gboot -b 64 -s 512K

gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 da0
OK now it'll be bootable. Let's talk about size. I haven't mentioned that; we'll assume for the sake of example you want a 9 Gigabyte root ( / ):
Code:
gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -l groot -s 9G da0
So now you should have a pretty good idea of how to manage the rest. Read the man(1) pages I've linked here, they have additional examples. You should then feel well armed for the task.

All the best.

--Chris

This is quite interesting!!
Is there a way to do this on a system that runs on ZFS?
I mean is there a way to create a bootable external medium (say a USB disk) that is a copy of the installed system?
That would really help when demonstrating something without having to carry a laptop/computer along!

Back