cpuset problem

On a machine, with one processor (two cores), I get errors using cpuset:

Code:
# /usr/bin/cpuset  -l 0 -s 1                                                                                        
cpuset: setaffinity: Resource deadlock avoided

also trying with -l1:

# /usr/bin/cpuset  -l 1 -s 1
cpuset: setaffinity: Resource deadlock avoided

# uname -a
FreeBSD bsd11-4g 11.1-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Nov 14 06:12:40 UTC 2017     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

why?

Now that is funny.
I guess you found your computer bogged down by some strange processes regarding millions of files and megabyte-sized arglists.
And you now want to restrict those strange processes to a subset of the CPUs you have.

I didn't know of the cpuset utility before, got curious, read the man page, and it answers a low-priority question I had. Namely how to reserve one processor core to handle important controller I/O that does not allow delays like from normal scheduler.
So I actually got an useful tip from you, and this is why you got your second <Thanks> since you joined the forums.

Regarding your question, I give you a hint.
Try to create a cpuset first and use that.

Snurg, the computer on which I compiled the custom kernel with ARG_MAX = 2 billions is for my use only and I'm not crazy to ask support for it, I know that it's very unstable, and that It could happen a lot of strange things there..

This computer instead, where I'm running cpuset, is perfectly working with 11.1 release of FreeBSD (unmodified) installed on it

Ok, then the process basically is to create cpusets.
That are data structures which the kernel uses.

Basically you say:
I want to have process/jail/whatever exclusive access to cpu #2.

Thus you create a permit form. It says "Permit #2". Because #0 and #1 are reserved for system usage.

Then you write, for example "Programs cpueater1 and cpueater2 are allowed exclusively to eat cpu #2."
Finally you give that form to the kernel scheduler.

Bingo!

Could you help me?
If I do:
cpuset -l 0 myprogram
all is ok: myprogram works on core 0

If I do:
cpuset -l 1 myprogram
all is ok: myprogram works on core 1

What I'd like to do is to say to operating system, to not schedule anything on core1, so that I can you it freely
I don't understand why it says:
Resource deadlock avoided

Please help me
Thanks

Back