CPU Intel AES intructions

Hello all ;)

soon, i will buy a notebook, of course install Freebsd on it.
I have two choices for the CPU.

-intel core i5 430UM
-intel core i5 520UM

The first one don't have "AES Instructions on board", second yes.
With the first i save 100$

I know some zip-apps use those instructions.
But GELI ?
Is there an advantage with "AES instructions" and Freebsd encrypted filesystem ?

Regards...

@ohyes

FreeBSD does not yet support Intel graphics cards that come with i3/i5 CPUs (lack of GEM/TTM in the kernel), so You will have to use that notebook with VESA driver, propably with WRONG nonwide resolution, so its definitely NOT a good hardware choice for FreeBSD, better get Core 2 Duo notebook which wil be fuly suported.

kib@ was recently working on AES-NI support. Though I have neither used it, nor tracked present status.

I heard that OpenBSD had hardware support in OpenSSL. I'd assume that is also in FreeBSD?

What about SSH with AES? That should get a nice boast in performance from hardware, right?

dbi said:
Well, I'm sure you know ssh may be used for tunneling and data transfers (scp) as well. :)

I couldn't rightly say just how much that might work on a gigabit network, but transferring a ~1GB disk image via the wireless here (passing the -C flag to scp) gives this little 1GHz centrino a massive 3-5%cpu load. I seriously doubt that an encryption engine will speed that up.

As a disclaimer, I'm not stating that encryption engines are not extremely useful, but I can't see much advantage in home use for scp/ssh, at least here and now.

fronclynne said:
I couldn't rightly say just how much that might work on a gigabit network, but transferring a ~1GB disk image via the wireless here (passing the -C flag to scp) gives this little 1GHz centrino a massive 3-5%cpu load. I seriously doubt that an encryption engine will speed that up.

As a disclaimer, I'm not stating that encryption engines are not extremely useful, but I can't see much advantage in home use for scp/ssh, at least here and now.

geli, https, imap-ssl, ssh, stunnel, vpn, sftp, etc.

Back