Code:
# vi /usr/local/etc/courier-imap/imapd-ssl
Code:
MAILDIRPATH=Maildir
Means Maildir is in /usr/home/$USER/Maildir

I decided to change it to:
Code:
MAILDIRPATH=/somepath/mdstore/$USER/

It doesn't work! $USER ends up being an empty string.
So I play dumb and try:
Code:
MAILDIRPATH=/somepath/mdstore/$HOST/
And Voila! In maillog, I get error, of non existant path and $HOST did expanded to full string.

Now, I now $USER is available, even in single user mode, so something has obviously stripped/deleted it!

DutchDaemon

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Developer

I wonder if variables like $USER and $HOME are available to this (part of the) process. A variable like $HOST is system-wide (not user-dependent), whereas $USER and $HOME are user-specific and perhaps not exported to, or imported by, this process. What is available in your current shell, may not be available to other processes ..

phoenix

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I haven't used Courier in a long time, but doesn't it automatically append the username to the maildir path if an absolute path is listed? For example, using MAILDIRPATH=/some/path would become /some/path/user1/Maildir, /some/path/user2/Maildir, /some/path/user3/Maildir, etc.

A quick search of a bunch of Courier sites doesn't come up with anything definitive. :(

OP
Seeker

Seeker

Aspiring Daemon

phoenix said:
I haven't used Courier in a long time,
but doesn't it automatically append the username to the maildir path if an absolute path is listed?
For example, using MAILDIRPATH=/some/path would become /some/path/user1/Maildir,
/some/path/user2/Maildir, /some/path/user3/Maildir, etc.

A quick search of a bunch of Courier sites doesn't come up with anything definitive. :(

What you are talking about is a Postfix and it's 'mail_spool_directory' option in main.cf
If you set it to: ('/' at the end means Maildir format instead mbox format)
Code:
mail_spool_directory = /path/mail/
Then all mail is delivered in /path/mail/$USER/{.Sent new cur tmp ...}
You would just have to manually create top level dir $USER, in it {.Sent new cur tmp ...} is auto created by Postfix ;)

Back to this post:
Once user is PAM authed, he is "thrown" in $HOME, then imap folder is served, by name defined with:
Code:
MAILDIRPATH=Maildir
Anyway I fixed problem by symlinking ~/Maildir to /somepath/mdstore/$USER/
Code:
# ln -s /somepath/mdstore/$USER ~/Maildir

Reason: When PAM is used, Maildir CAN'T be outside $HOME

I don't like this solution even it works now.
So...

Code:
PROMPT# authtest bossisfag                                                                                                                                                                      0 /home/domy
Authentication succeeded.

Authenticated: bossisfag  (system username: bossisfag)
    Home Directory: /home/bossisfag
           Maildir: (none)
             Quota: (none)
Encrypted Password: $2a$04$6DOQdG8........A4.nRF2..........wjBOmr.........g6a
Cleartext Password: (none)
           Options: wbnodsn=1
Maybe, if I would influence, 'Maildir' section, to get populated, somehow..., but where and how??
So then, that entry could be used.