Could not start kstartupconfig

After using KDE3 for months on FreeBSD 7.2, I came in this morning and booted up, ran startx and received the following error;

Could not start kdestartupconfig. Check your installation.

After clicking okay, I get

Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full?). Check your installation.

I looked around and found that some people were indicating that the problem might be caused by one of the following;

1. User lost rights to home directory
2. temp directory full

caracal# ls -l
Code:
total 6
drwxr-xr-x   2 haldaemon  haldaemon   512 Jun  9 15:40 haldaemon
drwxr-xr-x  30 johnwebb   johnwebb   1536 Jul 29 10:24 johnwebb
drwxr-xr-x   2 polkit     polkit      512 Jun  9 15:40 polkit
So, I still have ownership of my home directory….

caracal# df -h
Code:
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a    496M    295M    161M    65%    /
devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ad0s1e    496M    111M    345M    24%    /tmp
/dev/ad0s1f     81G     10G     65G    13%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1d    4.1G    182M    3.6G     5%    /var
linprocfs      4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /usr/compat/linux/proc
Anyone had this problem before? Any ideas on how to track down the problem?

Are you aware of the fact that KDE4 lives in a different directory? Make sure your start-up commands refer to that new directory (/usr/local/bin/kde4/, if I'm not mistaken).

Thanks but, I am not using kde4. I still use kde3... Also, it has been working flawlessly for months and I have not made any significant changes other than...

Yesterday I installed GIMP and FileZilla.

Sorry, about that KDE4 mix-up.

What are the permissions of your /etc/passwd file (just another suggestion I found somewhere) and of /tmp ([cmd=]ls -ld /tmp[/cmd])?

Other pointers:
/var/log/kdm.log
[cmd=]ls -ld /var/tmp[/cmd]

P.S. both /tmp and /var/tmp need to be chmod 1777.

/etc/passwd?

caracal# ls -l pass*
Code:
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1675 Jun 12 20:21 passwd

caracal# ls -ld /tmp
Code:
drwxrwxrwx  27 root  wheel  2048 Jul 29 11:09 /tmp

Both /tmp and /var/tmp need the sticky bit set for security (chmod 1777). I don't think it's fatal, though. Anything in KDE/KDM log files? There should be a quite descriptive error message about where it failed to create/modify what.

I'm not running KDE myself, so I can't give any more tips, except maybe to check the permissions inside your home directory. Maybe you did something in that directory as root. Or just chown -R your home directory to your user:group.

After I acknowledge the two dialogs, it bombs back out to the shell.

Code:
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libjpeg.so.9" not found, required by "kstartupconfig"
startupkde: Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full?) Check your installation.

Thanks DutchDaemon for all your help...

So what do you think would be the likely outcome of running;
portupgrade -rfR jpeg

It should upgrade everything that depends on jpeg?

The -R flag is probably superfluous, but -rf should do the trick, yes.

Okay. I just completed the following command;
portupgrade -rfR jpeg
It took four days....

It did not change anything regarding starting KDE. I still get;

Code:
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libjpeg.so.9" not found, required by "kstartupconfig"
startupkde: Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full?) Check your installation.

I see that several people are having similar problems.

Dutch, are you suggesting that I update my ports and then re-issue the portupgrade -rf jpeg command ? It took 4 days to complete... Just want to make sure I understand correctly before commit to that action again... :)

I updated my ports the day I installed GIMP which seems to be when this started. Now I just finished updating my ports and I got 3430 updates. That's consistent with what Dutch Daemon observed.

Would it be advisable to just run portupgrade on KDE to see what happens?

Yes, try updating the ports first. They should all compile against the newer libjpeg, so the extra step mentioned in /usr/ports/UPDATING would be superfluous. Mind you: I still do not have an idea what those 3000+ patches actually mean ... but a lot of them are remarkably 'jpeggy'.

I updated my ports then ran portupgrade -afP. After ~48 hrs, it just finished... Unfortunately, the error persists. Any other ideas?

The only thing I can think of is that the INDEX files in /usr/ports may contain outdated information. Try:

Code:
cd /usr/ports && portsnap fetch update && make fetchindex

Okay. I’ve reduced the problem back to the basics. I decided to just try to get Xorg to work. So, I commented out entries in ~/.xinitrc. Then I ran Xorg –configure to create a new xorg.conf file. It gets created by default using the “nv” driver. I normally use the “nvidia” driver but “nv” should still work.

So, I do a Xorg –config /etc/X11/xorg.conf –retro to test the file. The old style of black/white cross-hatch screen with working, mouse is displayed. So Xorg works right?

Ctrl-Alt-Bksp does not work to exit even though I added Option “DontZap” “Off” to the ServerLayout section. So I kill the Xorg process.

Now I execute startx, I would expect to see the screen go black and just sit there. However, it bombs out displaying the following error;

Code:
(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)

I reinstall glproto but that didn’t help.

Any suggestions?

I refuse to give up...

Additional info...

If I switch back to my original xorg.conf file which uses the "nvidia" driver, I get a different set of errors;

Code:
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)

Wow! I created a link to the libjpeg.so.10 file and it seems to have solved the problem entirely...

Code:
ln -s /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.so.10 /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.so.9

This does not seem like the right solution though. At least I can start KDE now...

I really didn't want to reinstall everything...

Back