could not lookup internet adress for x...

get this in a little window and i click in continue:
this will prevent xfce from operating correctly it may be possible to correct the problem by ading x tothe file /etc/hosts on your system
and finally xfce desktop appears...is this a bug? how to repair it?

i'm getting tired of free: no sound,no usb,high consumption of memory in xfce,etc...

You probably haven't configured a nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf. and who knows whatever else you haven't configured to end up with no sound, no usb and high memory consumption in XFCE. I have the exact opposite on all counts.

Comment out the only two lines in /etc/hosts (localhost for IPv4/6) then add 127.0.0.1 your_hostname your_hostname.local localhost and make sure you have hostname="your_hostname" defined in /etc/rc.conf.

As far as I can remember, USB has always worked quite well on FreeBSD unless you're connecting something through an external hub or the device is simply not recognized. Run dmesg after you plug the device, it'll always give you some clues.

As for sound, there's an entire chapter about it in the handbook.

Feel free to create new threads for any problems you're encountering.

And yeah, for low memory usage, you can always use TWM. :OOO

Beastie said:
Feel free to create new threads for any problems you're encountering

i appreciate it!
more:
Code:
x# pkg_add -r seamonkey2
Error: Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.0-release/Latest/seamonkey2.tbz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.0-release/Latest/seamonkey2.tbz' by URL
can't install any browser from mozilla(seamonkey,fireshit-devel,fireshit 3.5.6) get same mistake...need it for 'flashplugin' matters!

Remove the "2". Problem solved.

And please call applications by their names without adding a sh*t suffix, even if you dislike them. Thank you.

EDIT: I failed to mention you'll get version 1.1.x. Looking at the release dates for FreeBSD and SeaMonkey 2 will tell you why. If you really need version 2 you can always use a stable package repository. Checking the handbook will tell you how.

I had that message come up when I first installed xfce4.6. To remedy it, all I did was add my machine name to /etc/hosts with the 127.0.0.1 IP. Since I don't use this machine as a network server of any kind, it was just fine. Of course, I soon deleted xfce as it was a complete punk next to KDE3, but whatever works for you. :)

Back