Solved Corrupt download images?

I'd like to give FreeBSD a spin and I've downloaded the DVD iso of 12.0 and 11.2, and the CD image of 12.0. When attempting to burn the image to media using K3B in a Mandriva-based Linux distro, it has terminated at 98% on each with the error "invalid argument" for all three. As a test I went over to Distrowatch to see what the current-most-popular distro is (MX-Linux) and downloaded it; the DVD liveCD burned with no errors. Is there some known issue with using K3B, or is there some issue with the current images available for download?

Your download can be corrupted. Did you check the checksum for your downloads?
All three though?
Anywho, I didn't notice where the PGP key was for checking against the SHA256. MD5 is easy enough to check via command line, but obviously there isn't a list for that on the downloads page...

PGP key? It's a SHA256 or SHA512 hash, nothing more. You can use sha256(1) or sha512(1) for that. Linux should have the same tools available.

I would suggest the CD images, the DVD contains a bunch of packages but those are already old. They're built when the release came out and are never updated. And if you have a fairly modern machine capable of booting from USB you might want to try the memstick images.

Also beware of a proxy, if you have one on your network. The proxy may have cached a broken download.

PGP key? It's a SHA256 or SHA512 hash, nothing more. You can use sha256(1) or sha512(1) for that. Linux should have the same tools available.

I would suggest the CD images, the DVD contains a bunch of packages but those are already old. They're built when the release came out and are never updated. And if you have a fairly modern machine capable of booting from USB you might want to try the memstick images.

Also beware of a proxy, if you have one on your network. The proxy may have cached a broken download.
Well, GPG. I've not yet encountered a distribution, Linux or BSD, that used SHA256 instead of MD5 (or being honest, that I've bothered to check). I'm not running Ubuntu, but this was the how-to I found that said I needed to get a key from the site providing the ISO: https://www.howtogeek.com/246332/how-to-verify-a-downloaded-linux-iso-file-wasnt-tampered-with/. Pardon my inexperience with this, I'll dig into it a little more.
In any event I am directing all traffic through a VPN, so I'll try disconnecting and running the download again to see if I can get a clean one.
Thanks.

It's not GPG either.
That's what they called it in that link, I guess because of the syntax. Again, I haven't had to use this before so pardon my ignorance of it.
Just run sha256 /where/you/downloaded/the/image/downloaded_image.iso and compare the hash.
I'm not sure if it's just the particular distro I'm on or Linux generally, but this syntax didn't work. I confirmed in the package manager that I do have sha256 installed, so I'll have to look into that a little more.
In any event, I went ahead and tried running the install despite the burn refusing to complete, and it seemed to work. I need to futz with GRUB a bit so I can boot to it, but the install seemed to go smoothly.
I think the particular issue I started this thread about can be tentatively called solved for the moment.

Back