Solved copy paste VMware FreeBSD 13.0

Hello!

I would to use copy-paste from host to FreeBsd 13.0 (guest), I think i should use vm-tools.
According to this article, it's just required to run: pkg install open-vm-tools as root.

After installed the vm-tools, nothing has changed (i tried also to reboot FreeBSD).

I'm running FreeBSD without any GUI, so i'm trying to paste using "nano".

Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to do anything else?

Thank you.
Best Regards.

There is a service you need to enable and start; vmware_guestd_enable. You also need to load a few kernel modules, those are loaded by adding vmware_guest_kmod_enable.

In these cases I usually enable ssh (with PermitRootLogin yes) and go with putty

There is a service you need to enable and start; vmware_guestd_enable. You also need to load a few kernel modules, those are loaded by adding vmware_guest_kmod_enable.
I tried to add this two lines (with ="YES") to /etc/rc.conf but didn't work.
In these cases I usually enable ssh (with PermitRootLogin yes) and go with putty
Yes! This worked: I had already tried with putty but without "PermitRootLogin".

Solution:
uncomment in /etc/ssh/sshd_config the line "PermitRootLogin" and set it to yes.

I know this is not the better way. I just tried login from putty as normal user but then i can't login as root or use sudo or su (I'm probably doing something wrong).

I'll check this later, thank you for now.

You user account needs to be a member of the wheel group to allow su(1). security/sudo or security/doas need to be installed and configured.

During the installation you're asked if you want to add additional users. When you create a user you're asked if that user needs to be added to additional groups, add wheel there.

If you want to add an existing user to the wheel group; pw groupmod wheel -m <username>

Certainly during the configuration phase of a virtual machine it drastically reduces the time.
Then leaving it active depends on "tastes": there are thousands of reasons for not allowing root connections, and just as many for doing so and you know what you are doing

Apart from that

The copy and paste feature has certain requirements and restrictions.
  • You must install VMware Tools in a virtual machine to use the copy and paste feature.
  • The copy and paste feature works with Linux and Windows hosts and Linux, Windows, and Solaris 10 guests only.
  • The copy and paste feature requires Linux hosts and guests to run X Windows and Solaris 10 guests to run an Xorg X server and JDS/Gnome.
As far as I know you cannot therefore copy-paste text from the virtual console, if not using ssh

PS with service sshd restart a reboot is not required

I didn't know that i need to be member of wheel. After run pw groupmod wheel -m <username> i can use my account with putty.

Thanks to all, my problem is solved :)

Bob Coggeshall
I am the co-author of sudo. It was written in the early 80's specifically to address a need to protect the integrity of a shared resource (A VAX-11/750 running BSD UNIX) from its users (the faculty of the CS Department at SUNY/Buffalo). At the time, the only other option was 'su' which required everyone share a single password. Had a calamity occurred it would have been difficult or impossible to sift through the forensics and determine who the fat-fingered perpetrator was...

In fact it is not a system to improve security, but essentially to make it less easy for a distracted user to delete important files or configurations by mistake, and perhaps also (initial purpose) who operated (logging reasons).

There are people who like it (especially "imported" from Ubuntu, where it was a protection for the novice user from... himself, more than anything else) and those who never, ever use it (for example Debian's diehard).

Personally I find it useless: after more than 30 years of experience I see that users respond to any "are you sure" or "are you really really sure", "you are going to delete everything and everyone!" and maybe even captcha (! yes, in my programs I also put captchas for activities such as massive cancellations !) without thinking twice.

As mentioned, it's a matter of taste, I don't use it (almost works always as root), but I enable other users (reliable people) who, in case of emergency (disaster recovery, backup, etc.) can operate (via sudo) if I'm unavailable.
So if you like it, use it.

Back