Cool way to donate to FreeBSD foundation

Hi guys,

I just got an idea to donate to FreeBSD foundation with cool way.

I want FreeBSD foundation create a Google adsense account then share the adsense code to all of us in here so we can put it on our site. With that way we can help FreeBSD foundation but i am not sure its legal or not.

Advertising is crap! If you want to donate something then do so, but luring people into something with advertising is just crap.

So long as FreeBSD doesn't place adverts on its own sites (and I hope they never will), I'll never do it either ... (and I hope I'll never have to).

Man, same here.
FreeBSD in particular has become a very important part of my being, I rely on it for everything from fun to managing all of my bills, banking, etc. It is my OS. The idea, though, of using what i'd call "scum" tactics to make a few quick bucks for The Foundation is kind of depressing to me. Think about it, what image does that then demonstrate for The Foundation?

I'd just assume donate my miniscule $5 once in a while. Just my 2 cents. :beer
--Q

There's missunderstanding here... i mean we can put ads/google adsense on our own site under FreeBSD account ? it cost nothing

I didn't misunderstand you. If FreeBSD doesn't advertise on its site (and I hope they won't), then neither will I do it for them (and I hope it stays that way). FreeBSD subsists on donations, and that is fine. No need to make money for Google too. But nice of Google to donate to FreeBSD ;)

Doesn't FreeBSD have a store where we can purchase disks, etc., from? And does the store support FreeBSD in a fiscal way?

-JJ

DutchDaemon said:
I didn't misunderstand you. If FreeBSD doesn't advertise on its site (and I hope they won't), then neither will I do it for them (and I hope it stays that way). FreeBSD subsists on donations, and that is fine. No need to make money for Google too. But nice of Google to donate to FreeBSD ;)
Its like wikipedia. They ask for donations saying it helps to avoid advertisements. But i cant understand why they want to avoid them. Seems its more stable and standard way to get money for project. And users give them content, why they must donate too..
If project does not want to 'share with google' - there may be 'other way': for example, on main page place a block like "Sponsor of the year 2009" and put there logo and small info (3-4 words) about most avtive sponsor - its an advertisement someone want to buy so why not give this possibility?

jjthomas said:
Doesn't FreeBSD have a store where we can purchase disks, etc., from? And does the store support FreeBSD in a fiscal way?

-JJ

I think the FreeBSD Mall donates a percentage of its proceeds to the Foundation.

Back