Confused by FreeBSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
learningaboutbsd said:
Feel free to help.

Feel free to read and apply the forum rules. They're in your email and PM. Also, we don't suffer trolls lightly here, so make sure you come up with something better for your next post.

Why when asking for help, a few people on here are so rude?

People ask for help everywhere and it's unusual to receive this kind of negative response.

Is there a concise version of http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html?

What is 1.2.1 What Can FreeBSD Do? http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/nutshell.html meant for? It's very technical. I don't understand it. And doesn't say what it's meant for plainly and clearly.

Is this better than windows or apple?

learningaboutbsd said:
people ask for help...

What's the question? The wikipedia link you posted explains it's an operating system in the first sentence. Did you have another question?

"In what sense? FreeBSD is a better server than windows."

Just for a regular desktop. Is bsd FreeBSD meant for servers?

And for laptops and tablets.

"Apple uses FreeBSD technology at it's core." -- didn't know that. guess it's just better to have an apple os then. bsd seems like some kind backend users don't need to know about.

Thanks, that answers the original question. Problem solved.

learningaboutbsd said:
"In what sense? FreeBSD is a better server than windows."

just for a regular desktop. is bsd meant for servers?

You can run a desktop on it. Research and learn =)

learningaboutbsd said:
and for laptops and tablets

I run it on laptops. I don't see an issue with tablets either

learningaboutbsd said:
"Apple uses FreeBSD technology at it's core." -- didn't know that. guess it's just better to have an apple os then. bsd seems like some kind backend users don't need to know about.

Thanks, that answers the original question. Problem solved.

That depends. Apple OSX is tied to it's hardware. FreeBSD is not. Also you'd be surprised on what users know about as there are many users with different needs. If you don't know what you need it for then you probably don't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back