Confused about UPDATING and lang/vala

The just changed /usr/ports/UPDATING file has a new entry that affects users of x11/gnome2, graphics/clutter and lang/vala because GNOME 3.14 was imported. Of those three, I only have lang/vala on my system which needs updating.

The instructions mention deleting vala-vapigen and some other GNOME things, which I do have, but I don't understand if this affects me or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good question. If I delete all of the outdated packages, it happily removes Xfce as a dependency, and it will not be reinstalled by portmaster -a. Investigating now.

I was wrong about that. None of the packages to be removed for the update interfered with Xfce. In fact, only one or two were installed.

Part of what also confused me is I have a directory named gnome2 but I guess that holds stuff for certain applications but x11/gnome2 isn't installed on my system. None of the applications mentioned in UPDATING are installed either except for lang/vala. I don't want x11/gnome3 so I just updated lang/vala and all is well.

[ the [port] tag requires category/portname syntax -- Mod ]

Back