Conflicting Video Drivers

I have FreeBSD on a Dell Precision M6800, which has a Radeon/ATI/AMD video card. I plan to use it on a docking station, then through KVM. I plan to load KDE5.

Problem Statement:
DRM driver loaded: Docking station works, Xorg does not work.
DRM driver disabled, Docking station doesn't work, Xorg does work.

DRM Driver Load:
Install the drm-kmod package
$ sudo pkg install drm-kmod

/etc/rc.conf call:
Code:
kld_list="/boot/modules/radeonkms.ko"
. Tested this to work on Dock Station and KVM (physical 4x KVM), terminal only, pre Xorg.

startx without config, and it freezes. (Log attached). Looks like its loading a Radeon.so by default.
startx with config (attached), and it freezes. (Log attached -config).

Commented out the rc.conf line above, the single line. startx loaded x OK, but the video does not work on the Dock Station. The Keyboard and Mouse still do.

I am a brand new user, and I looked everywhere and tried most everything that made sense to me. I delayed this post until I figured out the script command and setup FTP to my win machine, so I could provide the logs/screens.
Since I need the Dock Station, is there any way to get Xorg to read the same video driver, and make it work?

Attachments

• Xorg.0.log.DYesXNo.TXT
    8.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Xorg.0.log.DYesXNo-config.TXT
    14.2 KB · Views: 139
  • xorg.conf.new.TXT
    3.7 KB · Views: 146
Check the relevant bits of pciconf -lv output (that is: any sections with "vga" in it) with and without the docking station connected. Are there any differences?

There is no difference in the pciconf output. dmesg shows the drm loading for both, with different drivers.
Tried by compiling the xorg port, which is 3 hours I wish I had back. Thank you for your reply. 3 days trying to fix video reminds me of the eisa days, with jumpers and things.

I don't have it in me. I don't know how to close this thread, but its not needed anymore. Cheers.

Back