./configure

Hi,

Am using FreeBSD 7.4/i386. I tried to run installation scripts by using ./configure It says
Code:
Command not found
I tried with [cmd=]sh ./configure[/cmd] It again says
Code:
Command not found

Please help.

I recommend using either ports or packages and not try to install something from source.

If you're trying to build a new port you should read the FreeBSD Porter's Handbook.

Thread moved as it has nothing to do with the base OS.

Hi,

I am not trying to install ports. I am trying to install vel-5.0.1.tar.bz2 (TAHI test suite). In that I am trying to run an installation script using [cmd=]./configure[/cmd] I get
Code:
Command not found

Please help.

First, verify that you have the configure in the current directory. If the output of ls does not show it, you cannot execute it. Maybe you need to first change into the place the archive got extracted to, then retry to run configure.

configure is usually a shell script. Most (poorly-written) Linux-oriented shell scripts have
Code:
#!/bin/bash
as the first line, telling the user's current shell which shell to use to run the configure script.

/bin/bash does not exist on FreeBSD. Hence, the
Code:
command not found
error.

Have a look at the configure script in a text editor. Most likely, you'd need to fix a lot of Linux-isms in order to get this software to work on FreeBSD.

TAHI is for FreeBSD. Exactly what it takes to build or run is not well documented by that site, but what Crivens suggests in post #4 is a good start.

Back