Configure different specific default routes, nameserver, searchdomains etc. for different networks, bound to different nics

freeBSDNew

Hello,

sorry, if my question ist stupid.

I want to configure a freebsd-server, that has different nic's, bound to different networks.

For example

em0
- 10.0.1.0 / 24
- defaultrouter 10.0.1.1
- nameserver 8.8.8.8, a.a.a.a, ...
- search domain lan.home.arpa

em1
- 10.1.1.0 / 24
- defaultrouter 10.1.1.1
- nameserver b.b.b.b, c.c.c.c, ...
- search domain mngmt.home.arpa

em2
- 10.2.1.0 / 24
- defaultrouter 10.2.1.1
- search domain IoT.home.arpa

Is ist possible to define different / multiple networks persistent in rc.conf oder resolv.conf or otherwise?

I know, that I can define f. e, one defaultrouter in rc.conf. but what, if i need different routers for different networks, same with searchdomains and nameserver?

Thank you all.

cmoerz

If your FreeBSD system is connected to those three LANs directly, wouldn't it already know about the routes? Do you want a DNS to resolve hostnames differently for systems on those LANs or what particular use case are you looking for?

If you are looking for a solution to do multiple uplinks, you could look at something like https://www.quagga.net/

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I know, that I can define f. e, one defaultrouter in rc.conf. but what, if i need different routers for different networks
There's always only one default gateway, that's the definition of a default gateway, it's the one that is used if no other (stricter) static or dynamic routes can be found. I like the definition Cisco uses; gateway of last resort. In other words, it's the gateway that's used if no other routes apply.

Additional static routes can be added like this:
Code:
static_routes="network1 network2"
route_network1="1.2.3.0/24 10.0.0.1"
route_network2="2.3.4.0/24 10.0.0.2"

Note that directly connected networks will already have an implied route. You can check your routing table with netstat -rn. And don't forget to enable routing by adding gateway_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf.

Zirias

Son of Beastie

Wouldn't this thread be related?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I have something like "-net 1.2.3.0/24 10.0.0.1" in those assignments. Is -net optional? I can't make it out from /etc/rc.d/routing.
It just executes route(8) with the value as arguments.