Computer suddenly seems to think I'm pressing and holding a key.

mikethe1wheelnut

This happens, seemingly at random, both when visiting forums such as this one, and now, when in the blender console. Most commonly it'll be as if I'm pressing and holding either the enter key or the back-space key. ctrl-c seems to stop it. Pressing other keys might also stop it, I'm usually rather frazzled when it happens. So, I guess, the first question is, has anybody else reported anything similar? Hard to search for if you're not sure how to describe it..

richardtoohey2

Not aware of anything similar, no. Check cables, connectors. Try with a different keyboard.

Does it happen under a particular environment/window manager?

Have you changed any keyboard settings, repeat rate anything like that?

Sounds more like hardware than software.

OP
M

mikethe1wheelnut

Not aware of anything similar, no. Check cables, connectors. Try with a different keyboard.

Does it happen under a particular environment/window manager?

Have you changed any keyboard settings, repeat rate anything like that?

Sounds more like hardware than software.

This is pretty much a basic install, xfce. I downloaded firefox and blender to test blender. I haven't even got round to changing the wallpaper. I installed fuse (handbook section 18.8) because I thought I needed it to read my usb key.. This is a ~5-year-old dell laptop..

OP
M

mikethe1wheelnut

root@ozzie:~ # dmesg | grep CPU
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4310U CPU @ 2.00GHz (2594.06-MHz K8-class CPU)
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs
cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0

Snurg

Daemon

Swallowed keyup/keydown events can be related to USB keyboard problems, as some pack multiple of these events into a single data packet.
Did you try another keyboard?

pboehmer

Swallowed keyup/keydown events can be related to USB keyboard problems, as some pack multiple of these events into a single data packet.
I concur... I have this issue when I plug in a USB Serial adapter. I just end up unplugging/plugging in the USB keyboard to get it resolved.

OP
M

mikethe1wheelnut

This is a Dell Latitude E7440 laptop, so the keyboard is integrated. Sorry I didn't make that clearer earlier. Deactivating the touchpad (hate it..) is on my to-do list. I've done it on linux installs, haven't got around to it here..

Snurg

Daemon

Do you experience this also without xorg running?

A thing to try could be setting this differently:
sysctl -da is instructive.

Code:
kern.evdev.rcpt_mask: Who is receiving events: bit0 - sysmouse, bit1 - kbdmux, bit2 - mouse hardware, bit3 - keyboard hardware

The FreeBSD default is 12, which means bit 2+3 on.
Maybe it could be better to use kbdmux instead of directly the hardware.
So I'd try 6 instead.

OP
M

mikethe1wheelnut

Do you experience this also without xorg running?

A thing to try could be setting this differently:
sysctl -da is instructive.

Code:
kern.evdev.rcpt_mask: Who is receiving events: bit0 - sysmouse, bit1 - kbdmux, bit2 - mouse hardware, bit3 - keyboard hardware

The FreeBSD default is 12, which means bit 2+3 on.
Maybe it could be better to use kbdmux instead of directly the hardware.
So I'd try 6 instead.
Thanks for your response! I'll get back to you as soon as I can (give it a day or two).
[No, so far I haven't experienced this (I don't think) without xorg running. My goal is to use this as a desktop computer for web-researching and design work using blender, so unless I get wayland working, my understanding is that I need xorg. i3 is what I'm currently most interested in..]

richardtoohey2

so the keyboard is integrated
Yes, but you could try a USB keyboard to see if that gives the same behaviour. If you are getting the same behaviour with the USB keyboard, then seems less likely a hardware problem.

If the USB keyboard works fine - maybe something wrong with the laptop's keyboard and you can check that.

decuser

Beyond software issues, I've seen this with hair/dust under the keys and also with spills. You might want to try blowing it out with an electronic duster, or taking a look at the insides...