Compositor disabled after quarterly package upgrade

I'm running FreeBSD 13.1 RELEASE. After upgrading ports using the latest quarterly repository (2023 Q1) and rebooting sddm hung with the progress bar on the splash screen at about 80%. Restarting the sddm service cleared this and started KDE but compositing was disabled, i.e. my usual desktop effects and window drop shadows weren't available. The compositor section of system settings displayed the following message:
Code:
OpenGL compositing (the default) has crashed KWin in the past.
This was most likely due to a driver bug.
If you think that you have meanwhile upgraded to a stable driver,
you can reset this protection but be aware that this might result in an immediate crash!
I clicked the button to re-enable OpenGL detection, this had no immediate effect and when I logged out and back in again sddm hung as before until I restarted the service which again disabled compositing.

If I recall correctly the compositor was turned off a couple of versions ago.

If I recall correctly the compositor was turned off a couple of versions ago.
A Google searhc comes up with https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/qamlfd/was_xrender_compositor_removed_in_plasma_523/ and https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/1088 from about a year ago, possibly starting with plasma5-kwin-5.23.

But that leaves me wondering how desktop effects and window drop shadows were working with plasma5-kwin-5.24.6_1 until a few days ago when the quarterly upgrade put me up to 5.24.7. I was under the impression that compositing was needed for these to work.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log did show the following error:
Code:
[    72.285] (EE) Failed to load module "intel" (module does not exist, 0)
But I found the same error in backups of earlier log files prior to the upgrade when I didn't have any problem so I initially assumed the error message wasn't relevant to my current problem.

Until the upgrade things appeared to have been running fine with graphics/drm-510-kmod and no specific xorg video driver but in case the above error had now become relevant I decided to try installing x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel. After installing this and rebooting desktop effects and windows shadows were available again. However I'm now getting the following errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
Code:
[    25.003] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/local/lib/dri/i965_dri.so failed (Cannot open "/usr/local/lib/dri/i965_dri.so")
[    25.003] (EE) AIGLX error: unable to load driver i965
but this doesn't appear to be causing any problems.

This leaves the mystery of how things worked fine previously without the Intel driver and is the AIGLX error likely to come back and haunt me in the future?

Back