Complex X11 Problem

I recently screwed up my FreeBSD workstation and have been trying, with little luck, to restore it to its previous settings. At this point, the only remaining problem (that I know of at least) is getting X11 to work. Startx only works with root, but the keyboard and mouse don't work, X11 will only start for non-root users if it's invoked by xinit- the keyboard and mouse don't work here either. When I try to startx as a non-root user I get a looped error stating "No protocol specified". I have enabled dbus and hald in /etc/rc.conf, gone through all the usual steps to getting X up and running, and I am at a complete loss as to what to do. I am considering completely removing and reinstalling anything that has to do with X11. Does anyone have knowledge as to how one would go about doing this or perhaps be able to suggest an alternative?
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

If X runs as root, it's okay. Ignore the mouse and keyboard for now, one thing at a time. So the problem becomes how to find out what's wrong with your user. As your user, what do echo $HOME and echo $DISPLAY say?

Let's start with the basics. Please show your xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log from when you try to startx as a normal user. It might also be useful to use script(1) to capture the session where you're trying to start X (HowTo).

wafflesausage said:
Also, for the new user, I get similar error messages for zsh.

Well, it's something. Avoid changes to the new user's default shell, .cshrc, and in fact anything environment-related for now. That will eliminate that stuff as a problem.

The problem's been solved, but the solution was drastic and unelegant. I just whipped up a set up script and reinstalled the whole system. There were more problems with it than just X, and I figured a fresh install would do me better. I've learned my lesson and will be preserving permissions in my following backups.

Back