compiz-fusion gnome already has a window manager

ter2007

I never have had any trouble running compiz-fusion with an nvidia graphics card until now.

I have tried and tried everything I can think of and have searched the internet.

When I start compiz-fusion the CPU usage shoots up to 100%, and hangs. When I get back to the console. it is spitting out messages like: "already has a window manager" and use "--replace option to replace current window manager"

Yes, I know the various well published commands to start compiz and emerald.

This is a fresh install:

FreeBSD 7-3 with the ports from the CD. No ports are updated.

xorg

gnome2-lite

nvidia driver 173, nvidia-xconfig, nvidia-settings (downgraded these but still the same results)

compiz-fusion port.

Please help.

adamk

Daemon

Exactly what command are you running to start compiz? Do you have compositing enabled in metacity? What is the output of 'glxinfo'?

Adam

jalla

I've noticed the same.

In lack of a better solution I applied the following hack to work around it

Run gconf-editor, navigate to /apps/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager and replace metacity with dummy

Open System->Preferences->Startup Applications and add a script to start compiz. Mine looks like this
Code:
gong:~% cat /h/tl/bin/startcf.sh 
#!/bin/sh
compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
emerald --replace &

jnr

You can also use # compiz-manager in Startup applications instead of writing a script. It will start emerald automatically if you have emerald set as the default wm in CompizConfig.

OP
T

ter2007

(1) For glxinfo i get: command not found. The mesa-apps is not in the ports.
(2) I could not find composting in Metacity. Don't know where it is. I am not an expert in FreeBSD (it take a long time to learn all of this and I don't have time anyway.
(3) I could not find a setting for a wm in CompizConfig. I have seen it before, but I could not remember where it is.
(4) I used jalla' method and it is working now. In fact that is the way that I have always started compiz-fusion except for the 'dummy' setting. BTW it is not / apps/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager it is desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager to set dummy. Thanks jalla.