Compiling schedule outside kernel source

For a school project I am analyzing and modifying the process scheduler in FreeBSD. We chose FreeBSD because modifying the kernel is the easiest out of any operating system I have ever used. Currently, I am trying to compile the scheduler (sched_ule.c) outside the kernel source so I can make a test bench of the current and modified scheduler. When I compile now, I get a long list of errors, the first few are here:

Code:
In file included from sched_ule.c:45:
/usr/include/sys/systm.h:304:30: error: unknown type name 'uintfptr_t'; did you mean 'uintptr_t'?
void    hardclock(int usermode, uintfptr_t pc);
                                ^
/usr/include/sys/_stdint.h:78:22: note: 'uintptr_t' declared here
typedef __uintptr_t             uintptr_t;
                                ^
/usr/include/sys/systm.h:311:30: error: unknown type name 'uintfptr_t'; did you mean 'uintptr_t'?
void    profclock(int usermode, uintfptr_t pc);
                                ^
I attached the entire output as make_output.txt.
I'm using Clang and I've tried including /usr/src/include as a system header directory, and as a standard header and I still get the same errors. I'm using a simple makefile to build this as it should be a simple project.

Code:
CC      = clang
SYSINC  = /usr/src/include
INC1    = /usr/src/sys/amd64/include
INCDIRS = -isystem${SYSINC} -I${INC1}
CFLAGS  = ${INCDIRS}

sched_ece: sched_ule.c opt_sched.h opt_hwpmc_hooks.h
        ${CC} ${CFLAGS} sched_ule.c -o sched_ece
I plan to add driver code later to actually test it but first I needed to get this to at least compile. I used svnlite to get the source into /usr/src and I copied sched_ule.c into my testing directory. I also copied opt_sched.h and opt_hwpmc_hooks.h from /usr/obj after performing a make buildkernel . I've been trying to follow the makefiles in the source tree but they are dense and I haven't seen much that has been helpful.
I would like to get this to compile for my own testbench but if there is an existing one floating around, I'll gladly borrow from that. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• make_output.txt
    6.3 KB · Views: 499
Now, I'm by far an expert on this subject but... Have you tried to include /usr/src/sys yet?

Just using logical deduction here. The process obviously has an issue with /usr/include/sys/systm.h. Well, systm.h does not exist in /usr/src/include so I don't understand why you even bothered to try that.

However, the kernel source is obviously located in /usr/src/sys and if you look at the original path you'll see that sys/systm.h is being used, together with sys/_stdint.h, all of which are available in /usr/src/sys/sys. Logical conclusion: you probably used the wrong path.

As far as I know the kernel is a pretty stand-alone setup, which is also the reason why it gets build separately from the base system.

Now I have /usr/src/sys as the only include, and I included it with -I and with -isystem . The first gives me these warnings and error:
Code:
clang -I/usr/src/sys sched_ule.c -o sched_ece
/usr/src/sys/sys/systm.h:190:5: warning: declaration of built-in function 'setjmp' requires
inclusion of the header <setjmp.h> [-Wbuiltin-requires-header]
int     setjmp(struct _jmp_buf *) __returns_twice;
        ^
/usr/src/sys/sys/systm.h:191:6: warning: declaration of built-in function 'longjmp'
requires inclusion of the header <setjmp.h> [-Wbuiltin-requires-header]
void    longjmp(struct _jmp_buf *, int) __dead2;
        ^
/usr/src/sys/sys/systm.h:226:6: warning: incompatible redeclaration of library function 'log'
[-Wincompatible-library-redeclaration]
void    log(int, const char *, ...) __printflike(2, 3);
        ^
/usr/src/sys/sys/systm.h:226:6: note: 'log' is a builtin with type 'double (double)'
/usr/src/sys/sys/systm.h:304:30: error: unknown type name 'uintfptr_t'; did you mean 'uintptr_t'?
                                ^~~~~~~~~~
                                uintptr_t
/usr/src/sys/sys/_stdint.h:78:22: note: 'uintptr_t' declared here
                                ^
/usr/src/sys/sys/systm.h:311:30: error: unknown type name 'uintfptr_t'; did you mean 'uintptr_t'?
and many more, but when I include as the system include directory, I get
Code:
clang -isystem/usr/src/sys sched_ule.c -o sched_ece
/usr/src/sys/sys/systm.h:304:30: error: unknown type name 'uintfptr_t'; did you mean 'uintptr_t'?
                                ^
                                ^
/usr/src/sys/sys/systm.h:311:30: error: unknown type name 'uintfptr_t'; did you mean 'uintptr_t'?
void    profclock(int usermode, uintfptr_t pc);
                                ^
which looks closer to my original error but with /usr/src/sys/... complaining instead. I'm currently looking for the file that declares uintfptr_t . I'll come back when I have more progress.

Back