Compiling a kernel - a walkthrough

I'm starting this thread as a result of this other thread. Hopefully it helps someone out. Maybe even me. Anyone reading this who knows what they are doing, please feel free to correct me or answer questions as I ask them.

UNIXgod said:
When you are ready to compile your kernel start a new thread and I would be more than happy to help you with grokking the config and maybe save you one less headache.

So where am I at now, and what do I want to do?

Where I'm at now:
  • I have a ZFS root mirror setup, using 8.0-RELEASE.
  • Have upgraded from 8.0-RELEASE to 8.1-RELEASE.
  • Have done a # [url=http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=39092&postcount=37]portupdater.sh[/url] yes in the midst of the former, deleted some libraries, and I think botched my gnome somehow. This is NOT a criticism of portupdater.sh btw, it's very likely a reflection of my own combination of ignorance/stupidity/impatience.

What I want to do:
  • Compile a custom kernel, and learn how to update that (and world I guess) so that I can do it regularly and easily, so as to have a properly secure and reliable system.
  • Get system able to boot from 2nd disk, which is apparently a problem with 8.1-RELEASE and ZFS root mirror setups. Test it.
  • Fix my broken gnome (no gnome panel).
  • Figure out how to properly backup and restore the updated root mirror (which probably involves figuring out the minimum set of directories/files to backup and the order in which to do so).

I may as well detail what I did to upgrade, for others following along:

Upgrading from 8.0-RELEASE to 8.1-RELEASE
I have managed to upgrade from 8.0-RELEASE to 8.1-RELEASE, by virtue of these threads (and especially this post). The process I took was the following:

I'd recommend doing this first - before we begin, do a snapshot of zroot:
# zfs snapshot -r zroot@8.0_working_date

Then
# freebsd-update upgrade -r 8.1-RELEASE
(Takes forever to download files. It was at this point that I decided to execute portupdater.sh as well.)
# freebsd-update install

Put in your 8.1-RELEASE DVD and do the following:
# mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /mnt
# gpart bootcode -b /mnt/boot/pmbr -p /mnt/boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 da0
# gpart bootcode -b /mnt/boot/pmbr -p /mnt/boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0

Rebooted, and it is now working!
# shutdown -r now

Remember to continue with instructions at here:

# freebsd-update install
# shutdown -r now

Note that we can see that (the kernel?) is a new version:
# uname -r
Code:
8.1-RELEASE

Note that to stop gnome coming up automatically if gnome panels aren't working, log in as root, click on something on the desktop and navigate to /etc/rc.conf and put a "#" at the beginning of the line:
Code:
gnome_enable="YES"
and reboot.

My next post will start off the custom kernel compile.

Backing up a kernel and testing it.

Before we begin, do a snapshot of zroot:
# zfs snapshot -r zroot@8.1_before_custom_kernel_date

Ok, so on the advice of UNIXgod, I'm doing the following first:
UNIXgod said:
If your really paranoid go through the process of loading the cp'd kernel as if you had to. Once you go through that process and see it work move to the step of compiling your own kernel.

So, to copy the kernel:
# cp -r /boot/kernel /boot/kernel.works
I also did the following just in case:
# cp -r /boot/GENERIC /boot/GENERIC.works

Now to test using an old kernel:
  1. Reboot
  2. Select option 6.
  3. # unload kernel
  4. # boot /boot/kernel.works/kernel
Yay, the system boots properly.

Now, we reboot again using the default kernel.

We are ready to start "Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel".

The next page - "8.2 Why Build a Custom Kernel?" details the reasons we are doing this.

So why am I doing this? There are several advantages:
  • Faster boot time.
    Not a huge selling point, as the machine is on most of the time. It could be nice for testing backups and restores though.
  • Lower memory usage.
    With 8GB of RAM, this is probably not an issue.
  • Additional hardware support.
    Irrelevant to me.

Other reasons not listed:
  • I want a system that is patched as far as security holes go, and I'm guessing that having an up to date kernel is a part of that. I know that every so often kernel updates were part of life under linux, I would suspect this is the case under FreeBSD? (If so, how to know when to update the kernel? Or do it regularly?)
  • I need to get the boot loader updated through this patch. Someone says that using 8.1 STABLE has this patch included. Let's see, difference between RELEASE and STABLE... I know that doesn't apply to ports, does it apply to both kernel and world or just kernel? According to the latter thread, updating doesn't change RELEASE to STABLE, you need to set an option for that. And if security patches are applied to RELEASE, I'd rather just stick with RELEASE for now, especially if I can just apply necessary patches to RELEASE as well.
  • Maybe less security holes for the reason that in the same way that disabling services increases security, less stuff that is built into the kernel is less stuff that can go wrong.

Ok, as far as the boot loader patch is concerned, I have gotten stuck so far here. So my suspicions are that rather than figure out why that isn't working, if I compile the kernel I will at the same time solve that problem too. Or if I can't, then I will just have to upgrade to 8.1 STABLE.

Now we are ready to embark on the next page:
8.3 Finding the System Hardware

Ok, that page lists multiple methods for finding out hardware information. I'm going to go with dmesg as a first resort, printed out to a USB stick which can be read from another computer (the one I am typing this from), so that I can minimize the switching between editing the conf file and finding information (perhaps it would be better to edit the conf file on the other computer, that way I would be free to use pciconf etc.). Nevermind.

1. Insert the (FAT formatted) USB stick.
  2. Use dmesg to find the device node. However, maybe because it's 8.1, the device node (da3) is automatically spat out.
    # dmesg
  3. # mkdir /mnt/usb
  4. # mount_msdosfs /dev/da3 /mnt/usb
  5. # dmesg > /mnt/usb/dmesg_output_20101212.txt
  6. Unmount the USB before taking it out.
    # umount /dev/da3

With out trusty dmesg output in hand, we are ready to embark on the next step, which is:
8.4 Kernel Drivers, Subsystems, and Modules

Nothing to do in that one, it's just information that says basically to use modules if one is available.

The next page:
8.5 Building and Installing a Custom Kernel

We skip forward to the "tip" to set things up so that we don't inadvertently erase the custom kernel config in a fit of anger.
# cd /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf
# mkdir /root/kernels
# cp GENERIC /root/kernels/WORKSTATION
# ln -s /root/kernels/WORKSTATION

Now we are ready for what appears to be the bulk of the work in this process:
8.6 The Configuration File
Now, my first choice: do I wuss out and just do a delta (basically a new file specifying to include GENERIC) or do I go through and erase everything that does not apply? Decisions, decisions. Advice?

Looks like your making progress.

If you would like to know what your nic driver your machine is using look at ifconfig() output.

You can safely remove all other nic drivers.
also remove DEBUG=-g

Some scsi drivers are needed for cd/dvd burning(da and pass come to mind). keep those and remove the rest.

Your kernel name should reflect your machines name (if you haven't thought of one here are some suggestions I use character names from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy book and other sci-fi references(i.e. 2001: space odyssey) . I have seen people use lord of the rings references. Don't name it after a living pet or dead rock stars =) )

So I have in one of my machines named
/root/kernels/HAL9000

Also there is a field in the kernel config called ident. Replace GERNERIC with your computers name there.

Since you mentioned security is a concern. Removing anything with the line root at the top of the file is safe to remove unless you know you will need it. (i.e. MD_ROOT, NFS_ROOT and so on)

After you have created a slim kernel take the time to study NOTES which is the old lint file. It contains everything possible to add to the kernel from linux filesystem support to altq for firewalls and even old mac(pre unix) filesystem support.

If you would like a easy grep-able file to see all the options without comments you can type

Code:
make LINT

inside your /usr/srs/sys/`uname -m`/conf folder and it will create two files named LINT and LINT-VIMAGE

For stuff I will never need I delete the line. For things I feel are worth keeping in the file but have no immediate need I comment out. (I'm a vi user so flying through the file pressing dd is simpler than insert + hashmark everywhere)

If you want to create multiple kernel configs the second level up can use include syntax as so

for example here would be
/root/kernels/HAL9000-FIREWALL

# set KERNIDENT=HAL9000
# printf "include ${KERNIDENT}\nident ${KERNIDENT}-FIREWALL\n\n" > HAL9000-FIREWALL
# grep ALTQ < LINT >> HAL9000-FIREWALL

Code:
include HAL9000
ident HAL9000-FIREWALL

options         ALTQ
options         ALTQ_CBQ        # Class Bases Queuing (CBQ)
options         ALTQ_RED        # Random Early Detection (RED)
options         ALTQ_RIO        # RED In/Out
options         ALTQ_HFSC       # Hierarchical Packet Scheduler (HFSC)
options         ALTQ_PRIQ       # Priority Queuing (PRIQ)
options         ALTQ_NOPCC      # Required for SMP build

This may help with organization of having a slim kernel and another file acting as a feature filled kernel simply sucking in the slim config.

You could also do the reverse where you have a slim kernel named HAL9000-slim and have the rest of your additions and hacks in a file that suck it in named HAL000.

Of course you can have everything in one file if you wish. The policy and organization is yours to make.

When you boot into it for the first time run uname -a() and see if output. Here is an example of my uname output:

FreeBSD hal9000.rubyprogrammer.net 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #2: Thu Aug 12 17:55:19 CDT 2010 UNIXgod@hal9000.rubypr*grammer.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HAL9000 amd64

I'll keep following this thread. Post your kernel config here when you have it.

carlton_draught said:
Now, my first choice: do I wuss out and just do a delta (basically a new file specifying to include GENERIC) or do I go through and erase everything that does not apply? Decisions, decisions. Advice?

One of the nice things about including GENERIC and using nooptions/nodevice to turn things off is that the config file becomes really a list of just the stuff you care about either disabling or enabling.

Another feature is that your config automatically includes new GENERIC features and settings. A full standalone config file has to be checked periodically against GENERIC to keep from missing those changes.

carlton_draught said:
Thanks UNIXgod. I'll review your post a few times, decide what to do and then post what I've done.

I put alot of information into that post. Getting a slim kernel first is most important to your immediate needs.

Worry about LINT as you need support for more exotic services. Also most of everything you need for desktop usage should be loaded as a module via /boot/loader.conf and controlled by /etc/rc.conf and /etc/sysctl.conf

The usage of no vs just deleting or hash marks is up to you. wblock has a point as in version releases are upgraded GENERIC will change to keep compatibility with ports and add new device drivers.

My policy has been to keep a copy of the old generic and diff it against the new one when hitting point releases. I don't really have that many machines to worry about so my way of doing it may be a modus vivendi.

As with everything in the open source world. The choice and policy is yours to decide.

Before I begin in earnest, I will address some things UNIXgod and wblock have said.

UNIXgod said:
My policy has been to keep a copy of the old generic and diff it against the new one when hitting point releases. I don't really have that many machines to worry about so my way of doing it may be a modus vivendi.

As with everything in the open source world. The choice and policy is yours to decide.
I will certainly try your way first, as you have offered to help me in this thread and it would be untoward of me not to accept that help. I may also try it wblock's way as well and get the kernel loading time difference between the two. After that I will be in a position to decide which way I want to go in future.

Your kernel name should reflect your machines name (if you haven't thought of one here are some suggestions I use character names from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy book and other sci-fi references(i.e. 2001: space odyssey) . I have seen people use lord of the rings references. Don't name it after a living pet or dead rock stars =) )
I used to do that sort of thing but I started making things more generic. e.g. "WORKSTATION", "LAPTOP" etc. If I might need to have more of the same thing, I would add a number on the end (e.g. "SERVER1", "SERVER2" etc.) I know, it's not very exciting, or memorable, but somehow I remember them. But I will say that 2001 is one of my favorite movies. I was considering making the "success" beep on zxfer be the famous bars from "Thus Spoke Zarathustra". And then decided against it, as it is too long and would get annoying fast.

(I'm a vi user so flying through the file pressing dd is simpler than insert + hashmark everywhere)
I first learned vi/vim about 10 years ago or so. It is the ultimate text editor, IMO. The time invested in learning it pays itself back over, and over, and over again. That being said, if you wanted to insert a hashmark at the beginning of a line it would be a fairly simple matter of recording a macro in vim with q, then doing @@ after the first @(macro assignment key). Deleting things would make the file more simple though.

carlton_draught said:
I will certainly try your way first, as you have offered to help me in this thread and it would be untoward of me not to accept that help. I may also try it wblock's way as well and get the kernel loading time difference between the two. After that I will be in a position to decide which way I want to go in future.

I will help you regardless. Both methods will end with the same result. I'm pretty easy going and realize that their are many ways to accomplish the same goal.

carlton_draught said:
I first learned vi/vim about 10 years ago or so. It is the ultimate text editor, IMO. The time invested in learning it pays itself back over, and over, and over again. That being said, if you wanted to insert a hashmark at the beginning of a line it would be a fairly simple matter of recording a macro in vim with q, then doing @@ after the first @(macro assignment key). Deleting things would make the file more simple though.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that later. Sounds like a good thing to know about vim.

UNIXgod said:
I will help you regardless. Both methods will end with the same result. I'm pretty easy going and realize that their are many ways to accomplish the same goal.
Thanks.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that later. Sounds like a good thing to know about vim.
Oh yes, definitely. To record a vim macro:

1. Type "q", then a character assigned to executing that macro (e.g. "a")
  2. Record what you want done at that point. For example, "i#<ESC>j"
  3. Press "q" again.
  4. To execute once press "@a".
  5. To repeat, press "@@".

Also another thing you can do is simply insert a "#" once, and press "." to do the same action. The macro allows you to do things like making the cursor go down the next line ready to repeat again, enabling you to just hold down the "@" if you so choose.

It is amazing what can be done with vim macros, especially with lots of SQL statements, or any structured text file you need to edit in a hurry.

carlton_draught said:
I may also try it wblock's way as well and get the kernel loading time difference between the two.

There isn't any loading time difference. "include GENERIC" happens at build time. There probably isn't a building speed difference, either. It's like program source, you can put it all in one big file or use multiple files and include statements for better organization.

I'll be copying, pasting and annotating in chronological order, so that people who follow get an idea of the order in which to do things, and don't have to flip back and forth. (I'll probably be following along at a future date.)
UNIXgod said:
If you would like a easy grep-able file to see all the options without comments you can type

Code:
make LINT

inside your /usr/srs/sys/`uname -m`/conf folder and it will create two files named LINT and LINT-VIMAGE
Done. These two files now exist.

I just noticed that LINT has 847 lines while GENERIC has 325 lines, some of which are comments and white space. All in all, only 220 lines actually do something. Not so bad. Now I'll proceed through the file "WORKSTATION".

Code:
cpu  hammer
hammer is amd64, basically, whether it's Intel or AMD (mine is Intel).

Code:
ident  WORKSTATION
(Name of my machine.)

Code:
makeoptions    DEBUG=-g"
removed as per UNIXgod's suggestion.

Now I'm following along with 8.6 The Configuration File.
options SCTP # Stream Control Transmission Protocol
is the first thing not listed. UNIXgod has not mentioned it. Ok, so there are two places to check this, the NOTES file in the same directory as WORKSTATION, and /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES.
Code:
SCTP is a NEW transport protocol defined by...
Well, none of this means anything to me. Searched google:
Code:
site:forums.freebsd.org sctp kernel
The following link makes it sound like a good idea to include. Next.

After progressing through a bit, I've decided to put each entry that is not in the handbook, and may either be of interest to someone, or I am not 100% sure about. The goal is to prompt discussion if I'm wrong, and serve as help to someone else or myself in future. "options" or "device" will be omitted for sake of brevity.

Code:
MD_ROOT
hmmm.
UNIXgod said:
Since you mentioned security is a concern. Removing anything with the line root at the top of the file is safe to remove unless you know you will need it. (i.e. MD_ROOT, NFS_ROOT and so on)
Ok, done. At this point, I've decided to take my own advice and simply comment out lines I don't use. Vim highlights the commented lines as blue, so it's easy to pick out what to focus on, while allowing the ability to back it out later. Continuing (making notes as to what I comment out, this is what is meant by "remove").

Code:
NFS...
- removing
Code:
COMPAT_FREEBSD...
Removing. I've never run anything from FreeBSD 7 or earlier, and I use ports for everything.

Code:
SCSI_DELAY...
Removing. Will be prepared to put it straight back in if my HDDs are not detected.

Code:
KTRACE
- Leaving in, don't use it AFAIK, but may need it?

Code:
STACK...
? not in handbook. Assume it goes with KTRACE and leave in.

Code:
P1003_1B_SEMAPHORES
? Nothing in handbook, one of the NOTES says that it is "very experimental". Guessing it's related to the next one, and leaving it in.

Code:
_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
- "Certain applications in the Ports Collection use these", stays in.

Code:
PRINTF_BUFR_SIZE=128
- not in handbook or either NOTES. Googling as before suggests this. No help for this but interesting. wblock talks about it here. Leaving it in just in case.

Code:
HWPMC_HOOKS
- not in handbook or NOTES.
$ man hwpmc leaves me none the wiser. Google. zeiz askes same question. This thread suggests to remove it. I'm going to leave it in and see if it doesn't give me problems, as I don't really understand what it does. Perhaps someone can help. Going to take a break here.

carlton_draught said:
Thanks.

Oh yes, definitely. To record a vim macro:

1. Type "q", then a character assigned to executing that macro (e.g. "a")
  2. Record what you want done at that point. For example, "i#<ESC>j"
  3. Press "q" again.
  4. To execute once press "@a".
  5. To repeat, press "@@".

Also another thing you can do is simply insert a "#" once, and press "." to do the same action. The macro allows you to do things like making the cursor go down the next line ready to repeat again, enabling you to just hold down the "@" if you so choose.

It is amazing what can be done with vim macros, especially with lots of SQL statements, or any structured text file you need to edit in a hurry.

Hey man thanks for this. Pretty much opens up a whole new way of using the editor for me as I never took the time to learn vim recording mode. I plan on a vim hacks thread one of these days. Get all of us to share and learn from each other. I ran across some crazy thing the other day that had some drop down menu built inside vim that was able to complete ruby syntax.

On Topic. You also don't need IPV6 (INET6) in your kernel (or any of your ports for that matter)

UNIXgod said:
Hey man thanks for this. Pretty much opens up a whole new way of using the editor for me as I never took the time to learn vim recording mode. I plan on a vim hacks thread one of these days. Get all of us to share and learn from each other. I ran across some crazy thing the other day that had some drop down menu built inside vim that was able to complete ruby syntax.
No problem. Key to using vim macros is to have the macro end up at the next line, and also to use the "move a word" keys when necessary, e.g. "w" and "e", though you've probably already guessed this. It has enabled creating things that would have taken me days otherwise, or I'd have given up. But because the macro is played back identically each time, if you get it right it eliminates the potential for syntax error which is a risk with manually editing text. So faster and more accurate to boot.

It is surprising what is out there. I guess since vim is probably the most popular FOSS editor out there for developers, it stands to reason that it is going to be hacked to do what people want. It would be interesting to read the thread.
UNIXgod said:
On Topic. You also don't need IPV6 (INET6) in your kernel (or any of your ports for that matter)
I kind of have a hankering to include it. I should probably not be so idealistic. I know that IPV6 is unlikely to be needed any time soon, but I hear how we are all going to need it soon enough and if only everyone adopted it world peace would break out or something.

Continuing where we left off...

Code:
AUDIT
Left in. The only thing said anywhere about it is "#support for BSM audit" in the NOTES, whatever that means. Googling doesn't really help either.

Code:
MAC # TrustedBSD MAC Framework
Left in. "Support for Mandatory Access Control", in NOTES. Google gives this. Not really sure whether it is used or not.

Code:
FLOWTABLE # per-cpu routing cache
Left in, suspect important for multiple core machines. Apparently some problems with it. Will monitor to see if I ever get 1 core going to 100% for no reason.

Code:
INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE # Include this file in kernel
. "Allows you to actually store this config file into the kernel binary itself. See config(8) for more details." Why not, I'll keep it.

Ok, from here it is pretty easy until I get to SCSI. I note that in my dmesg output, it looks like the USB drives use SCSI, and also my SAS/SATA controller devices come up as SCSI, including. Let's have a guess:
$ dmesg | grep SCSI
Code:
Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
(probe0:mpt0:0:0:0): CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
(probe0:mpt0:0:0:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
da0: <ATA INTEL SSDSA2M040 02HB> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-5 device 
da1: <ATA WDC WD2500JD-00H 2D08> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-5 device 
da2: <ATA WDC WD2500JD-00H 2D08> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-5 device 
cd0: <ASUS DRW-22B2ST 1.00> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device SMP: AP CPU #3 Launched!
umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0000
da3: <TDKMedia Trans-It Drive PMAP> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device 
umass1:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0000
da4: <Verbatim STORE N GO 5.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
Guessing that I can comment out all the other SCSI controllers but mpt.

Now we come to:
Code:
# SCSI peripherals
I'm going to leave the following:
Code:
scbus
da
cd
Hopefully this is enough for my HDDs, DVD/CDROM and USB drive access.

Then
Code:
# RAID Controllers interfaced to the SCSI subsystem
Going to comment out the LSI, as I know the device is actually "ASUS PIKE 1068E LSI Logic Fusion-MPT", as a google search for "ASUS 1068E LSI" brings that up, so it should be enough. And I can't see the string "mfi" when I grep the dmesg for SCSI.

Ok, next. Let's be realistic, I'm actually editing the dmesg output on another computer, so here is what I type:
$
cat dmesg.txt | grep atk

Code:
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
atkbd0: [ITHREAD]
So I leave both the following in:
Code:
adkbdc
atkbd

Reading through The Configuration File, I decide to remove:
Code:
psm
kbdmux
splash
agp
cbb
pccard
cardbus

No parallel port, so removed all directly under
Code:
# Parallel port

We come to:
Code:
# PCI Ethernet NICs.
I do the following, per UNIXgod's suggestion:
$ ifconfig
I see several devices, em0 and em1, so I comment out all but the following:
Code:
em

Wow, I feel so productive, lol. So many to easily comment out!

Now I'm up to:
Code:
# Wireless NIC cards
Since I am not using wireless on this PC (partly due to bad experiences), it's all getting commented out.

Code:
# Pseudo devices.
After consulting handbook, leaving all of these in.

Code:
bpf
Commented out as I use static IP.

Code:
# USB Serial devices
Did a grep of each to make sure in dmesg, couldn't find anything so commented all out.

Code:
# USB Ethernet
Don't have this, commenting out.

Code:
# USB Wireless
Ditto.

Code:
# Firewire
Ditto.

Finished! Just do a check to see what we've removed (how much non-commented, non-blank space lines remain):
$ cat WORKSTATION | grep -v "^#" | grep -v "^$" | wc

BTW the above is a useless use of cat. So sue me. :stud

72 lines for WORKSTATION, as compared to the 220 lines of GENERIC. Not bad. Let's see if this works.

Thanks UNIXgod!

Following on from:
8.5 Building and Installing a Custom Kernel

Within that, we are up to:
Building a Kernel

# cd /usr/src
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=WORKSTATION

Code:
ERROR: version of config(8) does not match kernel!
config version = 600007, version required = 600009
Googled error.

# make buildworld
Near 60 minutes later on a quad-core Xeon, it's coffee grabbing time for those who are partial to that sort of thing.

# make buildkernel KERNCONF=WORKSTATION
Finished in under 20 minutes.

# make installkernel KERNCONF=WORKSTATION
Very quick.

# shutdown -r now

Yuck. I'm getting an endless scrolling text. Not cool. I pressed <CTRL>C. It eventually ended with:

(snippet)
Code:
panic: page fault
cpuid = 0
kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address  = 0x18
fault code = supervisor read data, page not present...
etc.

Let's just test it against default GENERIC.

# cp GENERIC /root/kernels/WORKSTATION-GENERIC
# ln -s /root/kernels/WORKSTATION-GENERIC
# cd /usr/src
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=WORKSTATION-GENERIC
# make installkernel KERNCONF=WORKSTATION-GENERIC

Ok, so that worked. Let's see, what did I inadvertently comment out I am now regretting...

Ok, I'm going through and removing bits that I've removed before, in order of most confidence I have to least (basically working in reverse order of file, as I'm more sure about devices than various options). To speed up the process, here is what I'm doing. Do as in the previous post, but instead of WORKSTATION-GENERIC, I'm calling it TEST.

After the kernel is built and installed, do the following:
# cp /root/kernels/TEST /root/kernels/TEST.old
Then edit TEST file with your favorite editor.

After you have built it once, here is how to build the kernel ultra-fast. See especially this post.

Our testing loop now looks like so:
Reboot.
It works? Remove some more stuff.
# cp /root/kernels/TEST /root/kernels/TEST.old
# vim /root/kernels/TEST
# cd /usr/src
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=TEST KERNFAST=1
# make installkernel KERNCONF=TEST
# shutdown -r now

Ok, I think I found my error. I said I was going to leave the following in, but accidentally commented it out.
Code:
HWPMC_HOOKS

Now I'm compiling (without the KERNFAST=1) TEST as WORKSTATION instead, having renamed WORKSTATION to WORKSTATION.old. Hopefully that works.

Well that's weird. Getting the same error as I first got. Now to check my WORKSTATION.

You have a scsi device. you should have this in options:

Code:
SCSI_DELAY=5000

Also turn the one you caught on:
Code:
HWPMC_HOOKS

32-bit binary support is also a good thing to have:
Code:
COMPAT_FREEBSD32

USB_DEBUG can be turned off.

But I have a feeling the last couple are not why your getting the panic.

Back