Solved Compiler/Linker Output - What does it mean?

Could someone please tell me, or explain to me what this means, so that I can understand what it says, and maybe try to fix it..? Please?

The first is the long version, and the other is the abridged, from the second run. (Actually there's just the abridged because the message was too long.)

It's Firefox 57... I was having a hard time compiling 56 for the past several days, but now it was passing the points where it stalled, and it made it pretty far, I think it's almost done... and I've been trying this, and that, and the other thing, and probably tried to build the software maybe almost 50 times since Friday, I think, but today I realize that's futile, but I don't know what this means...

I've built Xorg, PulseAudio, KDE4 with all the gizmos, and all the dependencies for all those things... I even built Firefox 52 ESR with the defaults last week (that's what I'm using) while I can compile it with optimizations and stuff, but as soon as I touch anything, it craps out... Firefox, the normal release, won't even build with the defaults, whether Rust is compiled with the bundled version of LLVM or not... : (

I know how to fix ports, I can get around, ... I also built Gimp, and a bunch of other big builds, and I've had a lot of problems, and I've fixed them all, but I don't know what to do... and this is just one single piece of software, and it really brings me down... I wouldn't even know how to comment out the part that does that to see if I could make it work anyway without... I'm literally stuck... I'm very tired, my life isn't awesome right now, and I decided to dive into putting FreeBSD back on my system because I wanted to feel more in my element, I thought it would help, but I would really like to at least bring it where I can use Firefox and play YouTube videos with no sync issues between audio and video, and install the plugins I normally use, and use Outlook.com, and ... you know, just want to find myself in a familiar setting, and catch my breath for a while... It's really bringing me down...

Could you please help me?

Code:
rm -f libextensions_pref_autoconfig_src.a
/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1/_virtualenv/bin/python /usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/config/expandlibs_gen.py -o libextensions_pref_autoconfig_src.a.desc Unified_cpp_pref_autoconfig_src0.i_o  
gmake[7]: Entering directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1/toolkit/xre'
libtoolkit_xre.a.desc
rm -f libtoolkit_xre.a
/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1/_virtualenv/bin/python /usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/config/expandlibs_gen.py -o libtoolkit_xre.a.desc ProfileReset.i_o nsAppRunner.i_o nsEmbedFunctions.i_o Unified_cpp_toolkit_xre0.i_o  
At global scope:
cc1plus: warning: unrecognized command line option '-Wno-unused-local-typedef'
gmake[7]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1/toolkit/components/build'
gmake[7]: *** [/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/config/rules.mk:1067: extension_set_heavy.i_o] Error 1
gmake[7]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1/toolkit/components/protobuf'
gmake[6]: *** [/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/config/recurse.mk:73: toolkit/components/protobuf/target] Error 2
gmake[6]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
gmake[7]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1/toolkit/mozapps/extensions'
gmake[7]: Entering directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1/devtools/platform'
libdevtools_platform.a.desc
rm -f libdevtools_platform.a
/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1/_virtualenv/bin/python /usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/config/expandlibs_gen.py -o libdevtools_platform.a.desc nsJSInspector.i_o  
gmake[7]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1/toolkit/profile'
gmake[7]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1/toolkit/profile/gtest'
gmake[7]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1/toolkit/system/unixproxy'
gmake[7]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1/extensions/pref/autoconfig/src'
gmake[7]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1/toolkit/xre'
gmake[7]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1/devtools/platform'
gmake[6]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1'
gmake[5]: *** [/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/config/recurse.mk:33: compile] Error 2
gmake[5]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1'
gmake[4]: *** [/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/config/rules.mk:452: default] Error 2
gmake[4]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/obj-x86_64-unknown-freebsd11.1'
gmake[3]: *** [/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/client.mk:424: realbuild] Error 2
gmake[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0'
gmake[2]: *** [/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0/client.mk:237: profiledbuild] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-57.0'
===> Compilation failed unexpectedly.
Try to set MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes and rebuild before reporting the failure to
the maintainer.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/www/firefox
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/www/firefox

Hi.

Firefox 57 built fine in here. What are you using to build ports?

The reason I ask is because I already had several similar problems while building using make(1) directly, specially when using make -jX. Also, sometimes while using ports-mgmt/portmaster.

ports-mgmt/synth and ports-mgmt/poudriere were the best tools I found to do the job. I rarely have problems with ports failing and when it happens almost always there is an actual problem going on.

Other than that, how about your memory? In my experience those kind of errors often are related with low memory or failing ones.

Hi.

Firefox 57 built fine in here. What are you using to build ports?

The reason I ask is because I already had several similar problems while building using make(1) directly, specially when using make -jX. Also, sometimes while using ports-mgmt/portmaster.

ports-mgmt/synth and ports-mgmt/poudriere were the best tools I found to do the job. I rarely have problems with ports failing and when it happens almost always there is an actual problem going on.

Other than that, how about your memory? In my experience those kind of errors often are related with low memory or failing ones.

I have 16 GB of RAM, and 4 GB of swap... I don't think it's the issue...

Before 57 came out, I tried make, and Synth, and both failed. Make took me farther into the build with 57, but Synth seems to think everything has a circular dependency loop with ruby23... Everything. It's unusable anymore...

I'm trying to build Rust again, making sure to build it with the included LLVM port, and I'm going to try to build 57 again tomorrow, try anything anyone recommends then...

If you know how to fix Synth, I'll try that if Make fails... I kinda liked Synth, but that it just went haywire like that doesn't inspire me trust...

Poudriere is too much for me, and I want to build it with PGOs, and it's very complicated to get X working in a jail... I'd rather never use Poudriere (the name gets on my nerves, too).

Yeah, ports-mgmt/poudriere does need some work to setup. I like the name, it is funny.

Those ports failing to build all the time are not normal, so I would check for memory issues anyway. They (memories) can work quite fine and have some issue what just appear in some specific situation, and what does not happen in other OSes.

Now you mentioned, Firefox fail to build with PGO ON for me too but I always forget to investigate why. The kind of thing often are better to sort-out in the mailling list.

I just not get relation of ports-mgmt/poudriere and X in a jail. Btw, IIRC, there is a tutorial around here, in the forums, of how to run www/firefox in a jail.

In regards to ports-mgmt/synth and lang/ruby23, I never had a problem like that. It would be better to open a dedicated topic, and eventually marino appear too,

Yeah, ports-mgmt/poudriere does need some work to setup. I like the name, it is funny.

Those ports failing to build all the time are not normal, so I would check for memory issues anyway. They (memories) can work quite fine and have some issue what just appear in some specific situation, and what does not happen in other OSes.

Now you mentioned, Firefox fail to build with PGO ON for me too but I always forget to investigate why. The kind of thing often are better to sort-out in the mailling list.

I just not get relation of ports-mgmt/poudriere and X in a jail. Btw, IIRC, there is a tutorial around here, in the forums, of how to run www/firefox in a jail.

In regards to ports-mgmt/synth and lang/ruby23, I never had a problem like that. It would be better to open a dedicated topic, and eventually marino appear too,

I don't think it's funny, there is a poudriere on an island in the river here (I live in Montreal), near the fort whose arsenal it contained...

Before 57 came out, I tried make, and Synth, and both failed. Make took me farther into the build with 57, but Synth seems to think everything has a circular dependency loop with ruby23... Everything. It's unusable anymore...
Then why won't you ask that in the Synth-related thread (in Ports and Packages forum)? That thread is handled by the Synth maintainer and author, who readily answers questions. No elitism there, if you know what I'm talking about ;)

Then why won't you ask that in the Synth-related thread (in Ports and Packages forum)? That thread is handled by the Synth maintainer and author, who readily answers questions. No elitism there, if you know what I'm talking about ;)

Meh, I got it compiled with Poudriere.

Why? I don't know.

How? I don't know.

Who do I install it now? I don't know either, but it's compiled...

Meh, I got it compiled with Poudriere.

Why? I don't know.

How? I don't know.

Who do I install it now? I don't know either, but it's compiled...
Ha-ha, I'm much like that sometimes. So I don't update ports too often -- there'll be more trouble from that than real benefit. They introduce changes, they fix them, and so it goes over and over...

Ha-ha, I'm much like that sometimes. So I don't update ports too often -- there'll be more trouble from that than real benefit. They introduce changes, they fix them, and so it goes over and over...

It may not be good practice, and I'm not recommending it as such, but personally I only update ports when there is a vulnerability, sysutils/portmaster recommends it when building another port or it's something like editors/vim that is updated frequently.

/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/poudriere.conf

Code:
Poudriere: {
   url: "file:///usr/local/poudriere/data/packages/host-default",  <--- adjust as necessary
   mirror_type: "srv",
   signature_type: "pubkey",  <--- remove it if you are not signing the packages
   pubkey: "/usr/local/etc/ssl/certs/poudriere.cert",   <--- remove it if you are not signing the packages
   enabled: yes
}

Disable the others repositories!

/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/poudriere.conf

Code:
Poudriere: {
   url: "file:///usr/local/poudriere/data/packages/host-default",  <--- adjust as necessary
   mirror_type: "srv",
   signature_type: "pubkey",  <--- remove it if you are not signing the packages
   pubkey: "/usr/local/etc/ssl/certs/poudriere.cert",   <--- remove it if you are not signing the packages
   enabled: yes
}

Disable the others repositories!

Yep! Got it! : > Thanks! : D

I overrode /etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf with another file in /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/ disabling it, in true FreeBSD style, disabled the Synth repo, and enabled the Poudriere one...

It's kinda messy, *shrugs*, but it's working, and I'm running Firefox 57 now, and I got Poudriere working, I'm happy! : >

High 5? High 5! *high 5* : P

Yep! Got it! : > Thanks! : D

I overrode /etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf with another file in /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/ disabling it, in true FreeBSD style, disabled the Synth repo, and enabled the Poudriere one...

It's kinda messy, *shrugs*, but it's working, and I'm running Firefox 57 now, and I got Poudriere working, I'm happy! : >

High 5? High 5! *high 5* : P

I having the *exact* same issue building Firefox from ports. The version 56 built witout a single issue, ever. Version 57 has failed in all its minor updates. I am unable to figure out what the heck it is about the client.mk, and its linkers, that are causes the failed compiles. Full disclosure: I am famous for staring at the solution right in front of me for days, before realizing I am looking at the solution.

That said, curiously I can build the 57/58/59 Nightly builds from Firefox source without a single hiccup at all. I set off on nightly (hg pull/update & mach build) compilation orgies during zZz...time, and am greeted in the morning with a fully functioning trifecta of brand new versions of Firefox 56/57/59. I suspect Schrödinger & his cat might have something to do with this, although in all honestly I prefer blaming president Trump, because reasons.

If you are feeling adventurous and wanna give a Firefox source build a try, install devel/mercurial & lang/rust (assuming you already have clang/llvm/autoconf/pulse/etc built from your previous 57 build attempts), followed by hg clone https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central & cd mozilla-central & ./mach build respectively. You'll have a working Firefox binary in about 16 minutes (on a KabyLake i7-7700k & NVMe SSD).

You can choose other iterations of Firefox release/beta/aurora, see https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Source_Code/Mercurial/Bundles It really is so easy to follow and accomplish that even a Apple Mac user can do it.

I having the *exact* same issue building Firefox from ports. The version 56 built witout a single issue, ever. Version 57 has failed in all its minor updates. I am unable to figure out what the heck it is about the client.mk, and its linkers, that are causes the failed compiles. Full disclosure: I am famous for staring at the solution right in front of me for days, before realizing I am looking at the solution.

That said, curiously I can build the 57/58/59 Nightly builds from Firefox source without a single hiccup at all. I set off on nightly (hg pull/update & mach build) compilation orgies during zZz...time, and am greeted in the morning with a fully functioning trifecta of brand new versions of Firefox 56/57/59. I suspect Schrödinger & his cat might have something to do with this, although in all honestly I prefer blaming president Trump, because reasons.

If you are feeling adventurous and wanna give a Firefox source build a try, install devel/mercurial & lang/rust (assuming you already have clang/llvm/autoconf/pulse/etc built from your previous 57 build attempts), followed by hg clone https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central & cd mozilla-central & ./mach build respectively. You'll have a working Firefox binary in about 16 minutes (on a KabyLake i7-7700k & NVMe SSD).

You can choose other iterations of Firefox release/beta/aurora, see https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Source_Code/Mercurial/Bundles It really is so easy to follow and accomplish that even a Apple Mac user can do it.

I'm good... thanks... : P

Back