Compile dynamic kernel module into kernel

Sorry in advance if this question has been answered before - I'm quite new to FreeBSD and don't know the exact terminology I should be using.

I have a 3rd party dynamic kernel module that I can load via kldload. I know that FreeBSD supports compiling in certain modules directly into the kernel. For example, the manpage for aac says that if I add

Code:
device aac
device aacp

to my kernel config file, when I build the kernel, it will link it against this library. That same module can also by dynamically loaded, since it's in
Code:
/boot/kernel

Is there a simple way to link the kernel against a 3rd party module that's otherwise loaded dynamically? I have been able to build the kernel and world from scratch, but what I need more knowledge on is the necessary relevant configuration options to do something like this

Don't bother. Because in the end there is no significant difference between the two options and you're only overcomplicating things.

Don't bother. Because in the end there is no significant difference between the two options and you're only overcomplicating things.
Thank you for your reply. I would still prefer to know how to do it, even if it's not useful, because I want to learn more about the kernel in a way that interests me. And this is something that interests me

Is the module pre-compiled/binary? Or do you have the source code? Source code is probably easier to work with as you can just treat is as a "new" module and integrate it into the existing kernel source tree. I'm not sure how you would link a binary module into a compiled kernel. I'm sure it's possible but would probably require a lot of fiddling to get it to link at the right time in the right place.

Is the module pre-compiled/binary? Or do you have the source code? Source code is probably easier to work with as you can just treat is as a "new" module and integrate it into the existing kernel source tree. I'm not sure how you would link a binary module into a compiled kernel. I'm sure it's possible but would probably require a lot of fiddling to get it to link at the right time in the right place.
I have the source code! It's part of a larger project though, so building it individually may be a bit of a pain

Back