Solved Command for starting DHCP

What do you mean by 'starting DHCP', starting a DHCP server, or acquiring an IP address via DHCP? The latter would require this in /etc/rc.conf if you want to acquire an IP address via DHCP at boot time:

Code:
ifconfig_em0="SYNCDHCP"

If you want to run it from the command line for whatever reason: dhclient em0.

service netif restart && service routing restart

Doing it by hand: dhclient em0

# dhclient em0

Code:
no such user: _dhcp, falling back to "nobody"
no such user: nobody
exiting.

My system got messed up when installing PC-BSD. I'm trying a re-install and will try and work out exactly what is going on.

If only I understood the FreeBSD install/boot process better....

SirDice said:
service netif restart && service routing restart

Doing it by hand: dhclient em0

I'm in the process of customising a FreeBSD install USB, but have figure out that I can use it simply for booting the system by choosing the Live CD option when it starts the install process.

Now I have DHCP to start from the command line, but imagined for some reason that DNS would automatically work... How does the install process set hostname resolution?

balanga said:
How does the install process set hostname resolution?
There's a 'default' hostname called "insomniac". But other than that it's the installation process that asks for a hostname.

I realize this reply is late, but this thread still comes up in a google search.

The DHCP server is dhcpd. If it was installed as a package or from the source use using standard options then use the following command (must be root):

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd restart

To see the list of available commands use:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/isc-dhcpd

For the DHCP client and FreeBSD versions > 11.# use

service dhclient restart <interface>

For earlier versions use

dhclient

I realize this reply is late, but this thread still comes up in a google search.
I was surprised to see it, at least I learnt something from the answers...

Must have been one of my earliest posts on the forum.

Can't help feeling it is one of the best, in terms of most knowledgeable (and helpful) forums anyone is likely to come across.

Back