Cloning a server

Morning!

here is my problem, I have an old freebsd server(6.3-R5) running a raid that works as an email archive system. I originally wanted to virtualise it, but when I tried to move it using xen, first try it hung. and on the second try with the legacy settings, I got a kernal panic. So I tried Clonezilla, it saw the individual drives not the partitions. I have looked at ghost and other disk cloning software and run into the same issue.

I need a good solution to clone this server so I can put it on out blade server til its retirement and make my life easier...

HELP!!!!

artcurmudgeon said:
Morning!

here is my problem, I have an old freebsd server(6.3-R5) running a raid that works as an email archive system. I originally wanted to virtualise it, but when I tried to move it using xen, first try it hung. and on the second try with the legacy settings, I got a kernal panic. So I tried Clonezilla, it saw the individual drives not the partitions. I have looked at ghost and other disk cloning software and run into the same issue.

I need a good solution to clone this server so I can put it on out blade server til its retirement and make my life easier...

HELP!!!!

if they are ufs partitions dump would be the best option, but you could also use rync. depending on what you're trying to do, rsync may be better.

we started an unattended dump yesterday before I left work. I hoped to copy the dumps up to an nfs share, but I forgot that you cant access nfs shares in single user mode. so I am copying the dumps to a thumbdrive, should that fail I will put them on in an iso format so I can load it into the blades virtual terminal.

thanks again, I will update on how it turns out.

just to give a bit more detail...

I was able to pull the dump files off via thumb drive and create iso's from them to use.

What I am doing now is using Xencenter so I can create a 20 gig VM to restore the server to.

so far so good...

artcurmudgeon said:
Morning!

HELP!!!!

Try G4U it's a NetBSD-based project + it's free
http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

Its official....

between the raid system acting up and not being able to copy this, I am going to just build a replacement server from scratch...

thanks to all who helped...

Back