Other Cinnamon: Cannot shutdown/restart from GUI

The Cinnamon GUI dialogs for shutting down and restarting the system ( cinnamon-session-quit --power-off and cinnamon-session-quit --restart) do not function correctly on my system. When the dialog appears asking if I want to shutdown or restart the only option I have is "Cancel":

cinnamon-logout.png

I have to shutdown and restart from the terminal: shutdown -r now

Are you starting the DE from the command line or from a login manager?

Edit: After taking a quick peek at x11/cinnamon's dependencies it looks like it pulls in and uses sysutils/consolekit like x11/gnome3. If it works anything like other DE's that use consolekit you'll have to create a .pkla file in /usr/local/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/ with syntax similar to the following:
Code:
[Restart]
Identity=unix-group:operator
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

[Shutdown]
Identity=unix-group:operator
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes
If using startx from the console to start the DE you'll want to put ck-launch-session <whatever the session command is> in your xinitrc file. If using a login manager the options should automatically show up.

This is off the top of my head so this syntax could be slightly wrong. If it doesn't work you may want to do a search and double check.

Thanks protocelt. I will try these suggestions out and let you know how it works out. I am logging in with x11/xdm.

Sorry for the late reply. I was off FreeBSD for a while doing some Linux stuff and forgot about my issue.

--- Edit ---
If my Ports weren't updating I could try it out immediately. But so far adding that file allows the "Restart", "Shutdown", "Log Out", and "Switch User" buttons to appear in the logout/shutdown dialog. As soon as my Ports are finished upgrading I'll check if they actually work.

Back