Chromium/Firefox rebooting system upon startup after updates - how to fix it?

smithi Yep I forgot the display order, so yep I flubbed that one. But as the section of manpage I quoted in #42, my point about k and r showing differently if an updated kernel has been installed but not rebooted into came "straight from TFM" ;)

smithi Yep I forgot the display order, so yep I flubbed that one. But as the section of manpage I quoted in #42, my point about k and r showing differently if an updated kernel has been installed but not rebooted into came "straight from TFM" ;)

Absolutely. I only meant to refer, with some reluctance, to your assignment of 'p7' to kernel rather than userland.

Tracker should follow your advice about whether, when and how to load i915kms, if that could be it on his Acer.

Apart from harping about reducing temperatures, I'm about out of ideas. Cheers.

• Thanks
Reactions: mer
Kernel is only updated when there are updates to kernel. In this case some userland program/s were updated but kernel was not, hence p7 userland with still p6 kernel.

Strictly speaking reboots are only necessary for updated kernels, but if in any doubt, rebooting is always safe.

Yoir kernel won't go to p7 until some future update. Is that clear enough?

[FONT=monospace]smithi[/FONT] Yep I forgot the display order, so yep I flubbed that one. But as the section of manpage I quoted in #42, my point about k and r showing differently if an updated kernel has been installed but not rebooted into came "straight from TFM" ;)
Gotcha - thanks.
Tracker should follow your advice about whether, when and how to load i915kms, if that could be it on his Acer.
I actually tried commenting out the kld_list option in rc.conf - that did not solve the reboot issue. The last command in fact reads out a bunch of crashes for whenever I've tried normal mode. So far I've managed to use it in safe mode.

What makes you think it's an Acer ? 🤔
Apart from harping about reducing temperatures, I'm about out of ideas. Cheers.
Me too - seems like the only potential solution is applying thermal paste and hoping it works. If it doesn't then might have to junk the machine :'‑(

What makes you think it's an Acer ? 🤔

From your verbose dmesg:
Code:
ACPI: RSDP 0x00000000000FE020 000024 (v02 ACRSYS)
ACPI: XSDT 0x00000000B37FE120 00007C (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00000001      01000013)
... etc ...

Which model?

cheers, Ian

Tracker, what if try to disable GPU-Accelerating in Chromium settings? I.e in safe mode change setting, and check working at normal mode.

From your verbose dmesg:
Code:
ACPI: RSDP 0x00000000000FE020 000024 (v02 ACRSYS)
ACPI: XSDT 0x00000000B37FE120 00007C (v01 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00000001      01000013)
... etc ...

Which model?

cheers, Ian
Ha - interesting ..... you're right - can't disclose model though, sorry about that - just a bit paranoid. Btw are there any other tips one should keep in mind if one is trying not to disclose too much ? Or does this just show in verbose mode?

Tracker, what if try to disable GPU-Accelerating in Chromium settings? I.e in safe mode change setting, and check working at normal mode.
The normal mode is so messed up that it barely even allows me to open any program usually and just reboots .... so not sure if it's worth it ..... but that's not a bad idea, thanks, might try it.

UPDATE : I did get the thermal paste applied - it had no effect. At this point I'm fairly convinced it was one of the updates that screwed up the system - now that overheating is ruled out. I suspect either it may have been the (unusual) graphic driver update(s) OR possibly my booting into other boot environments (BEs via beadm activate) that may have caused the constant reboot issue 🤷‍♂️
Thanks for the help though everyone on this post 🙏

Hi,
I found the same behavior yesterday with a FreeBSD 13 (13.2-RELEASE-p8) after reboot starting firefox or chrome (firefox-120.0.1,2 chromium-119.0.6045.199) cause a reboot of the system.
The PS is a Thinpad X1 carbon (3rd gen).
I try starting other memory intensive apps like libreoffice, but no reboot happen.
No information in syslog nor when I start the browser remotelly.
I try disabling the i915 drm drivers vs scfb without any improvement.
I did a device check from the bios, everything is fine.
After multiple restarts (without upgrade) and a bios reset the situation start to improve with 1 or 2 reboots a day.

Update 14/12/2023 at 13:00 CET

I Face another reboot sequence (3 consecutive random reboots) not connected with chrome or firefox.
First occurs after login into X environment, others occur during boot process. In the two last cases at least one occurs just after drm module load

Update 14/12/2023 at 15:29 CET

Yesterday my laptop stop working black screen, no bios nothing. According to some comments on the internet Thinpad X1 carbon had some issues with the soldered memory who can break in many ways. There is a couple of tutos about how to revive such hardware by reflowing the memory components.

The good news in my case : FreeBSD has nothing to do with my reboot issue

For the record, a couple of days ago I perform an extensive memory test using BIOS tools who returns an OK status
my feeling is you should not trust this tool for this kind of issue.

I consider my case close, now I need a new computer 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Back