ZFS Chosing FS and options for Gateway/BRAS on SSD

Hello collegues! I got a task which I cannot find a solution. There is a server wich will act as BRAS or gateway, so it will just only boot from disk and then will not use it for working purposes. The idea is to use ssd with ZFS and mounted-out logs and other rewritable data with tmpfs. This used to minimize write cycles and save ssd resource. But there is no any adequate info with working experience (or I lost my searching skills :)) of this concept.

The question is can this idea be realized for production? Any other suggestions for same tasks are pleased.
Last years I tried to use nanobsd but there were other problems mostly with updation of config and base system.

If anybody has a working solution for requeasted task I'll be appreciated if one could point me a right way.

Thanks!

the low end 120GB ssds have a lifetime of 30-40TBW
this is good for 20years+ at 4gb written per day
run the box with no swap, turn fs atime off an you are ok
about $1/year of $2 if you mirror it

Is this box intended to be remotely upgradeable? If so ZFS on root is nice because you can easily do Boot Environments for upgrades. There is work and ways to do it with UFS and multiple partitions.
But I agree with everything covacat says about lifetime

Code:
dice@maelcum:~ % zpool list
NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
zroot  51.5G  13.7G  37.8G        -         -    36%    26%  1.00x    ONLINE  -
Code:
Model Family:     SandForce Driven SSDs
Device Model:     KINGSTON SV300S37A60G
  9 Power_On_Hours_and_Msec 0x0032   020   020   000    Old_age   Always       -       70577h+28m+49.100s
241 Lifetime_Writes_GiB     0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       31288
242 Lifetime_Reads_GiB      0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       115

That's the SSD that's been in my firewall for 8+ years. Did nothing special here, just a 'plain' ZFS installation. Updated and upgraded quite frequently over the years, now runs 13.0-RELEASE.

the low end 120GB ssds have a lifetime of 30-40TBW
this is good for 20years+ at 4gb written per day
run the box with no swap, turn fs atime off an you are ok
about $1/year of $2 if you mirror it
Yeah, I already thaught about the same thing. The swapless config is only doubtable in case of crashdumps.
Is this box intended to be remotely upgradeable? If so ZFS on root is nice because you can easily do Boot Environments for upgrades. There is work and ways to do it with UFS and multiple partitions.
But I agree with everything covacat says about lifetime
I want ZFS because it more stable on casual powerfailure and has a snapshot functionality. UFS usually falls into singleuser mode so it requires a staff to recover it.
Code:
dice@maelcum:~ % zpool list
NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
zroot  51.5G  13.7G  37.8G        -         -    36%    26%  1.00x    ONLINE  -
Code:
Model Family:     SandForce Driven SSDs
Device Model:     KINGSTON SV300S37A60G
  9 Power_On_Hours_and_Msec 0x0032   020   020   000    Old_age   Always       -       70577h+28m+49.100s
241 Lifetime_Writes_GiB     0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       31288
242 Lifetime_Reads_GiB      0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       115

That's the SSD that's been in my firewall for 8+ years. Did nothing special here, just a 'plain' ZFS installation. Updated and upgraded quite frequently over the years, now runs 13.0-RELEASE.

Thank you! This is what I need. The real example of usage.

Back