choose MTA

To shed more light, Duocircle uses GOOGLE and every attempt to send an email via the outbound server fails. Connection to Duocircle times out. The Almighty GOOGLE now blocks VPN connections. This started barely 24hours ago. Typically, an Org need run VPN and several services rely on. PFSense, as at today, does not segment traffic (confirmed from their forum). So, business is running naked on the Internet for now.

Nope; I meant commercial services.
There are many commercial mail sending services. Most of them are optimized for bulk mail though; because of that, they may seem "scammy" and "slimy" to people who hate spam. But we need to recognize that one man's spam can be another man's legitimate marketing communication mechanism.

I've used SendGrid and Mailjet myself, and they were reasonably easy to set up. At reasonable volumes (as expected for a home machine, hundreds or thousands of messages per day) they are free. I ended up switching away from them, and using my incoming e-mail service (not my ISP, a third-party hosting and e-mail service), which offers sending outgoing mail as part of the package. It just simplifies system setup.

To shed more light, Duocircle ...

Duocircle is definitely not among the large or well known mail service providers.

The Almighty GOOGLE now blocks VPN connections. This started barely 24hours ago.
That statement is false, or a ridiculous over-generalization. I just checked two services I run on Google, and my VPNs both work perfectly.

If your VPN is being blocked, maybe investigate whether you have set up the VPN yourself, or whether you are using a VPN service that has failed, or that is being blocked by network providers, for example for participating in a DDoS attack.

There are many commercial mail sending services. Most of them are optimized for bulk mail though; because of that, they may seem "scammy" and "slimy" to people who hate spam. But we need to recognize that one man's spam can be another man's legitimate marketing communication mechanism.
No. We need to recognize that those who send spam consider it "legitimate marketing", while those who receive spam consider it spam.
It is not a differenciation about spam, but a differenciation between those who make money on the expense of others and those who have the expense.

There are various attempts to shape E-mail into basically a one-way communication, where only the businesses send mail (and receive money) while the ordinary people receive mail (and send money).

Strategies, among others are:
  • port 25 is entirely blocked
  • ip address does not work because it is on whatever blocklist
  • mail gets rejected because it does not come from a commercial mailserver

I've used SendGrid and Mailjet myself, and they were reasonably easy to set up. At reasonable volumes (as expected for a home machine, hundreds or thousands of messages per day) they are free. I ended up switching away from them, and using my incoming e-mail service (not my ISP, a third-party hosting and e-mail service), which offers sending outgoing mail as part of the package. It just simplifies system setup.

Duocircle is definitely not among the large or well known mail service providers.

That statement is false, or a ridiculous over-generalization. I just checked two services I run on Google, and my VPNs both work perfectly.

If your VPN is being blocked, maybe investigate whether you have set up the VPN yourself, or whether you are using a VPN service that has failed, or that is being blocked by network providers, for example for participating in a DDoS attack.
I would not defend any statement. Employees need use VPN to access Org resources.

Some individuals and Orgs are just not yet ready to hand the service over to a third party. Big businesses, as said, are redefining email how-to needless to say bullying several individuals and SMEs out.

In fact, the said outbound service provider relies on Google for their email services too. Hence, your point may not be too convincing. Should others be punished for threats (DDOS etc) committed by unknown parties.

The 'reseller' is looking into the problem as they understand it is clearly linked to them and it's their responsibility.

Strategies, among others are:
  • port 25 is entirely blocked
  • ip address does not work because it is on whatever blocklist
  • mail gets rejected because it does not come from a commercial mailserver
  • No dkim/spf/mta-sts/etc
  • IP address is new

And the list goes on and on.

• No dkim/spf/mta-sts/etc
  • IP address is new
Yeah, I didn't bother to mention these because they are the more simple ones.

In fact, I have
  • TLS with valid public certificates,
  • DKIM
  • DMARC
  • SPF (continuous rollover)
  • DNSSEC (continuous rollover)
DANE/mail would also be possible, I'll look into that on occasion.

Nevertheless, I cannot even write a mail to my niece, because their network provider (which is the only one they get in that region) only allows them to receive mail from officially registered commercial spam distributors. According to that provider, this is to protect them from receiving spam. Aha.

Also, I cannot send mail to some other providers, because my outbound IP is on some blocklist. This IP is rented by me for more than two years now. Various efforts to contact that blocklist operator were entirely ignored, except for the result that they now send me mail every two days, telling me that I should urgently buy Windows, and then buy their "security services" (which do only run on Windows) in order to have it secured; these "security services" basically consisting of the very blocklists where my outbound IP is on. Aha.

I only use an SPF record, and I can send to all of the big guys (Gmail, Yahoo!, various Micro$oft domains), though I often wind up in the spam folder at those. I have a friend at a small business that can receive my messages, but cannot send me any. I suspect it's because whatever turnkey solution his business has bought can't handle grey-listing properly.

My position with those is tough luck. I started rejecting Gmail inbound messages when they rejected mine. I resumed accepting them when they accepted mine again. I copied my rejection message from the one Google sent me.

PMc maybe the solution is to host email for your niece? Then her ISP can go pound sand.

I still maintain this is off-topic. There's an important difference between an MTA and an MTA-as-a-service.

Back