Chinese Pinyin Package for typing Chinese

Does anyone know which pinyin package works with FreeBSD 12.2? I searched the forum for "pinyin" and saw some discussions regarding fcitx. Is fcitx the best option? How do I install it completely? I am using GhostBSD but I also plan to install FreeBSD 12.2 and use GNOME at some point.

My little bit of knowledge is in Japanese, not Chinese, but maybe this will help. There is also ibus for Asian language which some people prefer. If you're using GhostBSD and Gnome, ibus may be the better choice. I know that a few Linux distributions that prefer Gnome use ibus by default.

I began using fcitx because ibus started becoming a nuisance for me around FreeBSD-9 or 10. But, I don't use Gnome. It became a nuisance because I had to start running a little script to change from Japanese to English, rather than just hitting a key combination.

You *might* be able to find more information on fcitx in Chinese--I remember when I was doing web searches on it, most of what I found was in Chinese.

I'm not sure if any of this is useful, but for Japanese, at least, fcitx is pretty easy to use, but I have no experience of ibus with Gnome. Either one will work I think, I'm just not sure which is more work with Gnome. For what it's worth, I have a page on Japanese in Linux and some BSDs, the Ubuntu section has some stuff about using fcitx with Gnome. https://srobb.net/jpninpt.html

i use fcitx to input chinese
install zh-fcitx-sunpinyin and zh-sunpinyi

put these info your ~/.xinitrc
Code:
setenv LC_CTYPE "zh_CN.UTF-8"
setenv GTK_IM_MODULE "fcitx"
setenv GTK3_IM_MODULE "fcitx"
setenv QT_IM_MODULE "fcitx"
setenv QT4_IM_MODULE "fcitx"
setenv xmodifiers "@im=fcitx"
setenv LC_ALL "zh_CN.UTF-8"
and run fcitx &

Does anyone know of GCIN and Fcitx connect your input to the cloud? I want to remain anonymous when I type, or at least minimize how much of what I type gets tracked in a cloud database somewhere.

If I understand your question, typing with fcitx should be the same as typing anything in a browser, terminal, or whatever. It doesn't require an Internet connection to work.

Bash:
pkg install -y zh-CJKUnifonts
pkg install -y fcitx5 fcitx5-configtool fcitx5-gtk zh-fcitx5-rime zh-rime-wubi

it seems that it missing something environment variable. but after i install "zh-ibus-rime" then remove it. it works.

i didn't find what's it setted, in the file "your home"/.xinitrc doesn't have

setenv LC_CTYPE "zh_CN.UTF-8" setenv GTK_IM_MODULE "fcitx" setenv GTK3_IM_MODULE "fcitx" setenv QT_IM_MODULE "fcitx" setenv QT4_IM_MODULE "fcitx" setenv xmodifiers "@im=fcitx" setenv LC_ALL "zh_CN.UTF-8"

Back