ZFS Cheaper drive for a hot spare ?

I have a pool of 3 WD Golds, is it a good idea to add WD Red as a hot spare ? Reds are still considered as RAID drives with TLER, they are just slower (and cheaper).

If you'll be treating is as a temporary drive (meaning, it takes over for a dead drive until the dead drive is replaced, at which point the new drive takes over), then sure.

If you'll be treating it as a permanent replacement for a dead drive, then you'll want to stick with drives that have similar performance characteristics, in order to prevent an unbalanced pool/array (where some drives are faster than others, leading to pauses and stalls while waiting for the slow drives).

That being said, there shouldn't be much of a difference in performance between Gold and Red. Just don't be sticking Blue or Green drives in there. :D

Western Digital - Taste the rainbow!...:-/
Yeah I would definitely agree with phoenix. Though considering you have a pool of three drives, I'm guessing that you have a RAIDz1? If so, I would just keep the gold on hand. Resilvering a new drive twice with no extra redundancy is double the risk. I guess it all depends on what the data is worth and the level of risk you are willing to accept. That and you backups.
Edit: Don't forget to burn in the new drive before adding to the pool!

If you'll be treating is as a temporary drive (meaning, it takes over for a dead drive until the dead drive is replaced, at which point the new drive takes over), then sure.
Yeas, it would be temporary solution, while I send drive back to vendor or buy a new one.

That being said, there shouldn't be much of a difference in performance between Gold and Red. Just don't be sticking Blue or Green drives in there. :D
What about blacks ? WD claims they are OK for mirrors.

Resilvering a new drive twice with no extra redundancy is double the risk.
Second resilvering process is redundant by hot spare.

How about this: You need to buy 4 drives. Buy four identical (good ones), and run RAID-Z2. Now you have two-fault tolerance. If one drive fails, just run in degraded mode for a few days (but you have not lost data, and are actually still 1-fault tolerant), while you order a replacement drive. Once the replacement drive arrives, put it in, resilver, and you are back to full performance.

Why do I say this? Because I don't like spare drives. They sit there and do nothing; their return on investment is zero most of the time (except in the rare case that you actually need them). If you have to have the 4th drive anyway, then make it do something useful: let it give you extra redundancy. Actually, there is an ulterior motive behind this. Remember, with modern drive sizes, the probability of finding a latent fault while doing a full resilver is very high (it is approaching ~1 for 10TB drives). So using RAID which is single-fault tolerant is a really bad idea, because once a drive completely fails and you have no fault tolerance left, the probability of data loss is very high. So much so that the former (now retired) CTO of NetApp has referred to 1-fault tolerant RAID as "professional malpractice". By using a 2-fault tolerant code you avoid this problem. And by having no explicit spare, you use a nice modern technology called "fail in place": Let the drive fail, deal with it failing, and replace it at your leisure, not in a big panic, nor by having a hot spare on standby.

Back