Solved Cheap 10G switches

I am looking for an inexpensive 10 Gigabit switch. I found one but see no reviews. Anybody have any experience with this:
NetApp NAE-1101
Also know as NetApp CN1610
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372408492630
It is called a 'cluster switch' so I am unsure if it would work as a regular L2/L3 switch.
One mention here but no update on usability.

I bought an ASUS XG-U2008 (new) about a year ago, which is a 10 port unmanaged switch with 2 x 10gbe.
The price I paid here in norway should correspond to just below 250$ but it might be cheaper other places, haven't looked it up.

Prices seem to have dropped though since then. A year ago this was by far the cheapest solution, even professional used switches were far more expensive.
Nonetheless, I'm happy with it. It's small, fanless and uses little energy.
I really didn't need more then 2 x 10gbe, I have my workstation hooked up to my fileserves, while all other computers/laptop don't have 10gbe, so no need for more ports (for me).

I bought both these ebay switch deals and guessed right. They are bad ass. The NetApp switch CN1610 is a regular L2 managed switch with cluster capabilities. These were used by IBM and OnTap appliance. There is no GUI it uses a real basic command prompt.
show network interface status all
I got my SSH working and generated keys after a reset to defaults. I already had the latest 2015 firmware onboard.
Last evening I was convinced it had FreeBSD inside but further probing leads me to a Broadcom ICOS built on Linux.

I offered the seller $60+40s/h. So for $100 I got a used server grade 16 port SFP+ 10G Switch. With Dual power supply it roars.

So I found $27 single port cards and a 16 ports switch. Nothing here has broke the bank yet. SFP+ Transceivers around $7 and fibre cable the same. I bought 2 different DAC cables but both were wrong. My network is not homogonous and have lots of different gear so its like aruba to netapp switches to Intel and Chelsio and Mellanox cards..
The fiber has worked seemless in every use case. I am elated at learning something new.
Amazing little lasers in those SFP modules.

The Aruba S2500 was new with plastic film still on the fascade. It is 2013 vintage.
Right before HP bought them.
48 Gigiabit ports and Four 10 GbE ports but only two for user assigned use, the other two for stacking the switch.
Still for 70 bucks it is a deal.

Attachments

• screenshot01.png
    screenshot01.png
    102 KB · Views: 452
I am looking for an inexpensive 10 Gigabit switch. I found one but see no reviews. Anybody have any experience with this:
NetApp NAE-1101
Also know as NetApp CN1610
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372408492630
It is called a 'cluster switch' so I am unsure if it would work as a regular L2/L3 switch.
One mention here but no update on usability.
Hi!
I speak english not very well. But still..
If you need not too much sfp+ ports you can look at Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM. 16 ports. Also they have CRS305-1G-4S+IN (I think it is a very interesting switch for a remote working places, testing purposes and etc).

I highly recommend Brocade ICX 6450 or ICX 6610 on Ebay! Great value for your money, the 6450 is also very quiet and idles at only 20watt.

I did have my eye on a Brocade but they have different levels of licensing for different switch functions. That scared me off.

Back