Changing userid

I have a user that has the correct uid number in the passwd but she can't access herhome directory which has her email there. I am using Maildir folder. The enduser owns the directory but when yo uls- lha the first column shows her username but the second column shows the wheel group instead of her userid which should be 1571. I can I change her user id because she can't login and access her mail. I am running postfix and courier-imap

chgrp(1) ->

Code:
     The group operand can be either a group name from the group database, or
     a numeric group ID.  If a group name is also a numeric group ID, the op-
     erand is used as a group name.

rbizzell33 said:
Do I put the user id number in the command that I am issuing chown -r username: the id number

If she has a proper user and group name use that.

The user id is wrong and even when I changed it manually ins passwd and gave ownership to her home directory. She still couldn't access it. Her userid is different because I created a new account for her.

her group id and uid is the same the uid is correct but the group id says wheel and it should show the same id that it shows for uid

Please post the relevant parts of /etc/passwd, /etc/group and [cmd=]ls -dl /usr/home/username[/cmd] because I'm lost. I have no idea what you did or what you're trying to do.

A [cmd=]id -a username[/cmd] would be handy too.

when I issue the command ls -dl /home/username ghenry ghenry. When I issue that same command on a user that can access their home directory is shows username and next to that is shows their id number
Code:
drwx------  3 ghenry  ghenry  512 Dec 18 11:43 /home/ghenry
this is the enduser that has the problem
Code:
drwxr-xr-x  6 rbizzell  1001  512 Nov 20  2006 /home/rbizzell
This is the enduser that doesn't have a problem

Your group memberships are all screwed up. You should not see numeric group ids. At all.

For future visitors, you can also try pw(8) for changing uid and name. For example:

pw usermod -n olduid -u newid
pw usermod -n oldname -l newname

Back