Changing keyboard layout in KDM

I run in trouble changing keyboard layout in KDM. The system is FreeBSD 8.2, installed KDE4 and KDM, all works fine, but a user with punctuation characters in his password cannot log-in into KDE. The keyboard has italian layout, I originally configured xorg (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) with italian keyboard layout before installing KDE and it works

Code:
Option   "XkbLayout" "it"

I searched on Internet for a solution there is no pages about that specific for FreeBSD, the only soluions I found are for linux and all specify to set the proper layout option in xorg.conf (the code above).

To start KDE I inserted the lines
Code:
local_startup="${local_startup} /usr/local/kde4/etc/rc.d"
kdm4_enable="YES"
in rc.conf

Note that if the user insert his password as for an US keyboard layout, access is grant, so the keyboard layout in KDM seems to have US layout.

Maybe try customizing the keyboard or nationality or other settings IN KDE. They do have a keyboard configuration there. Once done, back up your configuration either way.

chip64c said:
Maybe try customizing the keyboard or nationality or other settings IN KDE. They do have a keyboard configuration there. Once done, back up your configuration either way.

KDE is already configured with italian keyboard layout. All worked fine till access with a non-whole-alphanum password. This also happens if the user name is not whole alphanum and I can see the keybord layout is US, the same thing happens when start FreeBSD in single user mode, there I can handle it.

I will try to do something in files in /usr/local/kde4/share/config/kdm after updating KDE if things stay the same. There should be an xkbd-something command to dinamically set kbd layout in X. I will try to execute it in Xsetup or Xstartup, thanks for the answer.

Back