Solved Changes to Firefox

Hello! I know this title is almost a clickbait but I will want to make some changes to Firefox. The thing is that I use OSS driver for audio playback [set in about:config] and I learnt that this is not a supported one.
Still I prefer OSS over ALSA and it actually works great in Firefox, the only thing is that it's a 0,5 to 1 seconds delay in sound when starting your video+audio player. So I thought this is something I should look into by myself on firsthand since the developers historically stopped to support OSS.

Therefore I need some direction on how to edit Firefox to make this delay in sound with driver OSS happen. Questions go:

* Do we get a file copy of source code when compiling a program from port?
* Are there any alternatives to get this delay without changing the source of FF?
* Is this problem possible to solve even remotely with not so much experience editing source code?
* How to do it?

Have already tried using a YouTube synchronizer which was utterly trash.

- - - michael_hackson

For firefox you can cd in the /usr/ports/www/firefox directory and type

sudo make config
This opens up a dialog where you can choose the sound daemon. Many FreeBSD folks like the OpenBSD sndio daemon. Not sure if OSS is an option (I'm lookng at CURRENT install, which can sometimes differ from the normal one)

To just get the source code, you can run make extract from the port directory, which will extract the source code into /usr/ports/www/firefox/work (You can look at man ports to get an idea of the various steps of the make command, it's pretty easy to understand, even for beginners.)

This is great help from both of you. I feel I have the resources to solve it now. Thing is that this is what may affect this:

Code:
+static int oss_get_min_latency(cubeb * context, cubeb_stream_params params,
+                               uint32_t * latency_ms)
+{
+  /* 40ms is a big enough number to work ok */
+  *latency_ms = 40;
+  return CUBEB_OK;
+}

Found in: https://bug1021761.bmoattachments.org/attachment.cgi?id=8781404

Will take the suggestion of making contact with freebsd-gecko@ to learn how to properly test things and make it work.
Marking this thread as solved and can later on post a working fix.

Thank you very much!

- - - michael_hackson

Back