Changes in rc in FreeBSD13

I've been running a web application based on www/node14 on FreeBSD and I had written an rc script which would start the application automatically. I recently upgraded my server from FreeBSD 12 to FreeBSD 13 and found that my web application no longer started automatically. The system message showed that ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libuv.so.1.0.0" not found, required by "node". But I did find libuv.so.1.0.0 in /usr/local/lib and I was able to start my web application by running service webapp start. I tried reinstalling all packages but to no avail. I then found a post in the mailing list (sorry I can't find it anymore) which suggested to add DAEMON after REQUIRE in my rc script. After that, my web application starts normally again.

I spent lots of time on fixing this issue. I also checked the release note to see if there is anything that might cause this issue. But, unfortunately I didn't find anything relevant. If I hadn't accidentally stumbled upon that post in the mailing list, I might have looked into a completely wrong direction and wasted more time. Since this did not happen on FreeBSD 12, I wonder what changes have been made to rc in FreeBSD 13 that might have caused this issue. Or how should I find out about changes other than reading the release note? More importantly, how do you sort out upgrade issues like this more efficiently? I do plan to stay on FreeBSD and stay up-to-date so I want to avoid similar things when I upgrade my server to FreeBSD 14, 15, 16, .... (long live FreeBSD!)

The error message implies either missing library or ld cache was not set up to find it. You say it is in /usr/local/lib so I think we rule out "missing library" and have to lean more towards "library not found on library search path".
Perhaps adding DAEMON is causing your rc script to run a little bit later, so something else could updating the ldd cache. There is an /etc/rc.d/ldconfig script so something must run it at some point.
The fact that starting by hand worked is another data point in favor of a new dependency in the rc script.
If you look at /etc/rc.d/DAEMON it acts as an easy require for NETWORKING and SERVERS, and if you look in /etc/rc.d/SERVERS, there is an explict REQUIRE for ldconfig. So that is why adding a REQUIRE on DAEMON worked for you.

It also means you could look at a 12.x system and see what calls ldconfig if you wanted.

As your question "how to find out about....": I'm not sure past reading release notes and keeping an eye on the relevant lists. There is a freebsd-rc mailing list that looks appropriate, maybe the ports and ports-bugs too.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hei
A missing shared object looks like your upgrade of packages is not OK. And this has nothing to do with rc scripts.
I upgraded my packages by

Code:
pkg bootstrap -f
pkg upgrade -f

I also thought I might have upgrade my packages incorrectly. But I was able start the service manually. I tried running pkg check -Bd but I didn't get any error. I later reinstalled both www/node14 and devel/libuv but it still didn't work. I have another server which just arrived days ago and I installed FreeBSD 13 on it and run the same web application in a jail. The web application did not start automatically until I added DAEMON too.

Also, pkg version -v | grep updating shows nothing.

The error message implies either missing library or ld cache was not set up to find it. You say it is in /usr/local/lib so I think we rule out "missing library" and have to lean more towards "library not found on library search path".
Perhaps adding DAEMON is causing your rc script to run a little bit later, so something else could updating the ldd cache. There is an /etc/rc.d/ldconfig script so something must run it at some point.
The fact that starting by hand worked is another data point in favor of a new dependency in the rc script.
If you look at /etc/rc.d/DAEMON it acts as an easy require for NETWORKING and SERVERS, and if you look in /etc/rc.d/SERVERS, there is an explict REQUIRE for ldconfig. So that is why adding a REQUIRE on DAEMON worked for you.

It also means you could look at a 12.x system and see what calls ldconfig if you wanted.

As your question "how to find out about....": I'm not sure past reading release notes and keeping an eye on the relevant lists. There is a freebsd-rc mailing list that looks appropriate, maybe the ports and ports-bugs too.
Thanks for your suggestions! I will definitely look at a 12.x system to figure out the differences (if any).

• Thanks
Reactions: mer
Compare the output of rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/* on both 13 and 12. Then you can see if there's any change in the ordering. Perhaps on 12 your deamon somehow started later than /etc/rc.d/ldconfig but on 13 it tries to start earlier.

I keep forgetting rcorder; I've not had a need to check things in a long time. A quick glance between a 13 and 12 BE here, no significant deltas (quick grep ldconfig /etc/rc.d). There is likely a good argument "You probably should have had DAEMON in there" even on the 12 system. But since it worked, you never knew.

• Thanks
There is likely a good argument "You probably should have had DAEMON in there" even on the 12 system. But since it worked, you never knew.
That might be the case.

• Thanks
Back