Solved Change ZFS active mirror disk into spare disk?

I have a machine with three 2TB drives mirroring the single zroot zpool. Is there a command sequence to pull one of those drives from the mirror, make the mirror forget it as a member of the pool and mark the drive as a spare rather than as an active pool member? A link to a page would be fine.

Best,
s-a

You're looking for zpool(8) detach, but what benefit are you looking for by having it a spare rather than live 3x mirror? (You'll still have a 2x mirror, right?)
You know, that's a pretty good question. I guess to be able to play around with ZFS a bit more than usual. I would still have a 2x mirror but since this is a consumer desktop it doesn't have the ability to hot swap so moving spares in and out of the mirror would really just be academic. And fun. But I'll look into zpool detach anyway.

Thanks,
s-a

If you want it just not to be a active part of the pool you could offline the disk with zpool offline poolname devicename that way if you want to add it back again you don't have to resilver the whole disk just the new blocks, but I am not shure if it will stay offline when you reboot.

Back