Change motherboard time from UTC to LOCAL in bsdinstall

Made a mistake in bsdinstall of choosing 'motherboard time is set to UTC' instead of LOCAL time during a fresh install of FreeBSD 13.0
This is a problem since I dual boot Windows which always expects mobo time to be local and changes the time automatically.
Tried bsdinstall time but this only changes the time. All I need to do is have FreeBSD look at mobo time as LOCAL time so that GNOME's clock does not subtract time in accordence to my timezone.
Where is this setting stored or how can I change it?

Made a mistake in bsdinstall of choosing 'motherboard time is set to UTC' instead of LOCAL time during a fresh install of FreeBSD 13.0
This is a problem since I dual boot Windows which always expects mobo time to be local and changes the time automatically.
You can make Windows interpret the mainboard's time as UTC too with a simple registry setting. Here is a batch file to do it, alternatively just add/change the value using REGEDIT.
Code:
@ECHO OFF
ECHO Configuring Windows to interpret CMOS clock as UTC ...
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation" /V "RealTimeIsUniversal" /T REG_DWORD /D 0x00000001 /F
ECHO Done - Reboot for the change to take effect.

PAUSE

If you really prefer to have your CMOS clock use local time instead of UTC, create an empty file /etc/wall_cmos_clock, see adjkerntz(8).

You can make Windows interpret the mainboard's time as UTC too with a simple registry setting. Here is a batch file to do it, alternatively just add/change the value using REGEDIT.
Code:
@ECHO OFF
ECHO Configuring Windows to interpret CMOS clock as UTC ...
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation" /V "RealTimeIsUniversal" /T REG_DWORD /D 0x00000001 /F
ECHO Done - Reboot for the change to take effect.

PAUSE

If you really prefer to have your CMOS clock use local time instead of UTC, create an empty file /etc/wall_cmos_clock, see adjkerntz(8).
It makes a lot of sense to have Windows interpret the hardware time as UTC.
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation" /V "RealTimeIsUniversal" /T REG_DWORD /D 0x00000001 /F worked like a charm.
I really like this solution.
Thanks, mickey

Last edited by a moderator:
Back