CDE - Setting global settings

I would like to set up settings whereby, for example, my terminal windows always open to the same dimensions, icons are a particular size, fonts are a specific size. I would like these settings to be retained between sessions but I haven't been able to find a specific file in which I can define them.

Is there a .conf file (or files) which holds these settings?

Thanks
Paul

I guess nobody knows (or cares :-( )

I understood that settings would be retained. But the only way I can shutdown from CDE/dtlogin is by issuing a shutdown command from a terminal session. Logging off from dtlogin just leaves a login screen waiting to be completed. Shutdown via a terminal doesn't retain any settings.

Paul

IIRC settings are being stored under $home/.dt
the session manager on CDE is dtsession (at least on Solaris 2.5.1 I used some >20yrs ago)

A symlink /usr/dt -> /usr/local/dt might help you. I have not checked it myself.
I guess nobody knows (or cares :-( )
The maintainer was last seen by Aug '17. He is probably a busy man. Seems that there are not many interested developers/takers for Motif base light Unix DE.There are so many WM but not many light popular DE,except 2/3/4.We have to wait.

I'm still using CDE on HP-UX (don't ask why.. at least the hardware seems to last forever). Anyway, I set up the following files in $HOME/.dt/sessions/home directory:

dt.settings
dt.resources
dt.session

These settings are then retained between sessions (if you choose the home session option in CDE). This is on HP-UX, but CDE was supposed to be a standard, so hopefullly will be the same on FreeBSD.

startx /usr/dt/bin/Xsession or startx /usr/local/dt/bin/Xsession
Use the "EXIT" button in CDE

My start up script is: env LANG=C startx /usr/local/dt/bin/Xsession.
I use the "EXIT" button to log off but, as I said in my original post, this returns me to the log in screen and there is no option to shut down from there - or if there is I haven't found it. So I have to issue shutdown -h now in a terminal and, of course, my settings are not retained when I next log in.

Paul

IIRC settings are being stored under $home/.dt
the session manager on CDE is dtsession (at least on Solaris 2.5.1 I used some >20yrs ago)

Perhaps I got it wrong then. My login is as shown in my reply to Datapanic.

Paul

I'm still using CDE on HP-UX (don't ask why.. at least the hardware seems to last forever). Anyway, I set up the following files in $HOME/.dt/sessions/home directory:

dt.settings
dt.resources
dt.session

These settings are then retained between sessions (if you choose the home session option in CDE). This is on HP-UX, but CDE was supposed to be a standard, so hopefullly will be the same on FreeBSD.

Did you have to create the /.dt/sessions/home directory - I can't find it anywhere? And what went in the dt.* files?

Paul

I can't remember - it was last century! I seem to remember CDE asks when you logout whether to use your "home" or "current" session, and you set up this directory if you want "home". You may be able to copy your "current" directory to "home", and then tinker with it from there. Anyway, the contents of these files are as follows. They are tab-delimited, not sure if that's important. This just sets up 4 workspaces and a big terminal in each. Some may be HP-UX specific, you will certainly need to change hpterm to dtterm or xterm.

dt.resources:

*0*ColorPalette: Default.dp Dtwm*0*ws1*backdrop*image: RicePaper Dtwm*0*ws0*backdrop*image: RicePaper Dtwm*0*ws3*backdrop*image: RicePaper Dtwm*0*ws2*backdrop*image: RicePaper Dtwm*0*FrontPanel*geometry: +22-0 Dtwm*0*helpResources: \n\ Dtwm*0*initialWorkspace: ws0 Dtwm*0*workspaceCount: 4 Dtwm*focusAutoRaise: True Dtwm.keyboardFocusPolicy: pointer dtsession*displayResolution: 3798 dtsession*saverList: StartDtscreenFlame StartDtscreenBlank dtsession*saverTimeout: 1 dtsession*sessionLanguage: C *background: #C600B2D2A87E *foreground: #000000000000
dt.session:

dtsmcmd -hints "-geometry 132x52+37+37 -state NormalState -workspaces \"ws2 \" -cmd \"hpterm -ls -sb -sl 1000 \"" -screen 0 -cmd "hpterm -ls -sb -sl 1000" dtsmcmd -hints "-geometry 132x52+37+37 -state NormalState -workspaces \"ws3 \" -cmd \"hpterm -ls -sb -sl 1000 \"" -screen 0 -cmd "hpterm -ls -sb -sl 1000" dtsmcmd -hints "-geometry 132x52+37+37 -state NormalState -workspaces \"ws1 \" -cmd \"hpterm -ls -sb -sl 1000 \"" -screen 0 -cmd "hpterm -ls -sb -sl 1000" dtsmcmd -hints "-geometry 132x52+37+37 -state NormalState -workspaces \"ws0 \" -cmd \"hpterm -ls -sb -sl 1000 \"" -screen 0 -cmd "hpterm -ls -sb -sl 1000"

dt.settings:

Dtsession*ShutDownState: 1 Dtsession*Interval: 48 Dtsession*Timeout: 60 Dtsession*AllowExp: 1 Dtsession*PreferBlank: 1 Dtsession*ShutDownMode: 3

Back