Solved CD Titles When Using cdrecord

For the past few weeks, I've been tinkering with a FreeBSD system I installed on a spare hard drive with Mate as the desktop.

I was looking for a program to burn and/or erase CD-ROMs as I use them for permanently storing data files. I tried a few, such K3B and Brasero, but they wouldn't recognize that I had a blank disk in the drive. (I suspect that there might be a problem with Mate with respect to CDs.)

I have, however, successfully used cdrecord for that purpose, getting the files ready for burning with mkisofs. Unlike the aforementioned programs, I can't set the title of the CD-ROMs. Once the disk is burned, its title is CDROM.

It would be nice if I could change the title to a name of my preference, such which data set is stored on the disk. I haven't found any information that shows how to do this, so I'm wondering if that's even possible. Being able to do this is more of a convenience than a necessity.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Sure, you could use the -V option with mkisofs(8) when preparing the CD image. From the mkisofs(8) man page:
Code:
-V volid
        Specifies the volume ID (volume name or label) to be written
        into the master block. There is space on the disc for 32 char-
        acters  of  information. This parameter can also be set in the
        file .mkisofsrc with VOLI=id. If specified in both places, the
        command line version is used. Note that if you assign a volume
        ID, this is the name that will be used as the mount point used
        by the Solaris volume management system and the name that is
        assigned to the disc on a Microsoft Win32 or Apple Mac platform.

Sure, you could use the -V option with mkisofs(8) when preparing the CD image. From the mkisofs(8) man page:
Code:
-V volid
        Specifies the volume ID (volume name or label) to be written
        into the master block. There is space on the disc for 32 char-
        acters  of  information. This parameter can also be set in the
        file .mkisofsrc with VOLI=id. If specified in both places, the
        command line version is used. Note that if you assign a volume
        ID, this is the name that will be used as the mount point used
        by the Solaris volume management system and the name that is
        assigned to the disc on a Microsoft Win32 or Apple Mac platform.
Thanks. I never thought of looking at the man page for mkisofs(8).

I plan on giving it a try over the weekend.

It works. Thanks.

One slight hitch, though. Both mkisofs(8) and cdrecord(1) work in root, but only the former in my account. Whenever I want to burn or delete a disk, I get several lines of error messages.

A problem with Mate, perhaps? However, since I don't burn all that many CDs or DVDs, and do so only for permanently storing data or making installation disks, this isn't a major issue for me. I can make the ISO file in my own account and then log in as root to burn the disk.

Back