Solved Cassandra4 - FreeBSD 13.2 - Anyone? Beuller?

Since there's not a single post here regarding this new port, databases/cassandra4 , I figured I may as well be the first. :D

Has anyone got this working? After failing multiple times, I finally reverted to a fresh clean install of FreeBSD 13.2, and installed cassandra4. And vim. Got to have my vim.

Same problem as all my other attempts today. If anyone has any good ideas of things to try, I'm all ears. About all I can think of is to build from source, but I'm hoping to not have to go there.

There's only about 3 settings necessary to tweak in the cassandra.yaml config file - but a single node should be able to start and function as as standalone with the default supplied config.

Code:
# service cassandra status 
cassandra is running as pid 1375.

Code:
# nodetool status
nodetool: Failed to connect to '127.0.0.1:7199' - URISyntaxException: 'Malformed IPv6 address at index 7: rmi://[127.0.0.1]:7199'.

The hostname is chuwi, so I've always had my hosts file with:
::1 localhost localhost.my.domain chuwi
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain chuwi

My first futile attempts DID use my IPv4 address and I was seeing this same error. I've since moved back to this default config to see if I can get it working that way. I'm currently just running the default cassandra.yaml config file w/o a single change to it. Once I can get it working I plan on changing the localhost entries to the machines IPv4 address and adding more nodes.

Appreciate the timely reply!

Roger. FWIW, I just tried pointing my repo to the 'latest' version, and installed 'cassandra4: 4.0.b2' - same error.
Huge file, so I'm attaching it.

Attachments

• cassandra.txt
    65.4 KB · Views: 53
Dang your good! How'd I not find that? :oops:
Code:
root@chuwi:/usr/local/etc/cassandra # nodetool -h ::FFFF:127.0.0.1 status
Datacenter: datacenter1
=======================
Status=Up/Down
|/ State=Normal/Leaving/Joining/Moving
--  Address    Load        Tokens  Owns (effective)  Host ID                               Rack  
UN  127.0.0.1  371.94 KiB  256     ?                 00788014-0604-461e-a9b7-d7de50bcfeb8  rack1

So - thanks man!

Question remains though - that bug was for cassandra3, and an older version of java than I'm on now, so wondering why the fix ain't in my newer java and newer cassandra.

I just need to feel good about putting this into production - what are your thoughts on a best stable approach to this?
I'm thinking it might be worth trying a few different versions of older java and/or cassandra - but then come upgrade time we'll be in a lurch.

Question remains though - that bug was for cassandra3, and an older version of java than I'm on now, so wondering why the fix ain't in my newer java and newer cassandra.
The fix is in Cassandra 4.1.1. The port databases/cassandra4 is at version 4.0.8. The version 3 port is at 3.11.14, which should have the fix.

Edit:
I just need to feel good about putting this into production - what are your thoughts on a best stable approach to this?
This seems like a trivial configuration problem. I would not be troubled at all about putting this in production.

Back