Car Head Units

Well the Linux is pretty much everywhere these days. Linux guys keep saying that Linux is the most used operating system, from servers to desktops and actually if you count all the Android devices.
I've been seeing these Android car head units and wondered if there are any units for cars using FreeBSD or any kind of BSD as a base.

When you think about it, android is about collection a GSM signal? So a unix/linux box connected to a gsm/usb modem ?
Android is also into the gui's on small screen. Can you do the same using qt/kde ?

I've been seeing these Android car head units and wondered if there are any units for cars using FreeBSD or any kind of BSD as a base.
I've seen some youtube videos of people using a Pi as the basis for their DIY head units. You can run FreeBSD on a Pi.

Somewhere new in box I have an ITX chassic for DoubleDIN mount. I never found a good fit yet.
Liliput screen yada yada yada.
Touchscreen support is the reason you have not seen more FreeBSD vehicle computers.
evdev and i2c touchscreen support is included with FreeBSD 13 so things are much better there.
That was also a sticking points for tablets. Lack of gesturing and advanced features of touch.
if there are any units for cars using FreeBSD or any kind of BSD as a base.
None that I know of. Make your own is the theme around here.

Back