Can't transfer/access file FreeBSD - Win7

Hi everyone,

I need a hand, I have installed FreeBSD in my virtual box which running in my Windows 7 laptop. (I'm new in Open source). The problem is, I want to access or transfer files between FreeBSD which is running in virtual box to my windows 7. How can I do that?

P.s: my teacher asked me to use the command line. I didn't install a GUI for FreeBSD in virtual box.

You can use a SSH console like PuTTY to connect to the guest FreeBSD in vbox in the same way of a remote machine. In the PuTTY package the pscp program acts like Unix scp, use it to copy files from/to the guest OS. Before this verify if you can ping it.

Or, install WinSCP on the Windows side of things, and use that to connect to the FreeBSD machine (it connects via SSH/SCP/SFTP). That gives you a pretty GUI where you can drag/drop files between the two systems.

phoenix said:
Or, install WinSCP on the Windows side of things, and use that to connect to the FreeBSD machine (it connects via SSH/SCP/SFTP). That gives you a pretty GUI where you can drag/drop files between the two systems.

yes, WinSCP it's better, someone just mentioned it in the past, I always forgot about it.

freethread said:
yes, WinSCP it's better, someone just mentioned it in the past, I always forgot about it.

Thank you to both of you guys. I have downloaded it in order to do as what you advise, but I don't know how to use the WinSCP. Can you show me the steps?

Connect to your virtual machine the same way you would connect using PuTTY. It's not rocket science.

Back