Solved Can't switch VT terminals while in X

I am having an issue with my VT terminals. When I am in an X session I cannot "Ctrl-alt-(n)" to any terminal and go back to my loaded X session. I have to kill the wm in another TTY. Instead I see the message:
Code:
AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch

My system is as follows:
Core2Duo 1.86 Ghz
3GB ram
Intel G45
1TB hybrid drive
I'm using a monitor with DVI input with a VGA adaptor.

I see the same message when I ctl-alt-F1. But when I use ctl-alt-F9 I gain my Xorg session back.

The settings are contained in /etc/tty

OK thanks for that. I can live with my wm showing up on tty8 but just out of curiousity, how do I get it to behave more like linux with the wm always showing up on tty0 by default?

Well I appreciate a good question and I didn't realize what was happening even on FreeBSD but I think it goes like this.
When you fire up Xorg it sends the graphical screen to ttyv8, but at ttyv0 it has the Xorg console, which is what ends up in Xorg.log.

Thanks. I just now realized the advantage of having it that way and that is so I can see error messages right there in tty0. I think I'll mark this solved. Thanks again.

OK thanks for that. I can live with my wm showing up on tty8 but just out of curiousity, how do I get it to behave more like linux with the wm always showing up on tty0 by default?
Historically, ttyv0 (the first text terminal, i.e. the one you reach with Alt-F1) is used for the system console. Additionally, the first few text terminals are used to run standard login shells, i.e. there are getty(8) processes running on them. The first free text terminal is then used for the X Window system, started via xdm or xinit or startx or whatever. You can configure in /etc/ttys how the text terminals are used, please see the ttys(5) manual page. However, I recommend against putting the X Window session on ttyv0. That would be non-standard and might conflict with the system console.

Ok thanks. I did try editing the /etc/ttys file but it cause problems when I restarted. I think I will keep it as it is.

Back